nº4. the bff

They are the first people we rely on. They're the ones who are always there for us when need be and when we get too drunk they are always there to hold our hair. The ones who talked with us about crushes, and those whose parents thought of you as their own. You were always compared to them by your own.

The BFF and The Girl were best friends for the longest time. Ever since their first day of school, two little girls in pig tails. They were stuck to the hip, the girls always walked around together, taking on the occasional third-best-friend the one that eventually left. No one could break them apart. Or so The BFF thought.

The BFF came out half-way through freshman year, she liked girls and The Girl didn't even batt an eyelash. Both their parents being Liberals, they were all for it. Quickly, you could see that they became even closer, they were brought together. The Girl accepted The BFF for who she was, and she quickly became that side-kick friend who was a wing-woman. Needless to say everyone was shocked when they asked The BFF "Well like, don't you have feelings for her?" and she said "No." Because they just assumed that she would fall in love with her best friend. Of course she loved her best friend, but this wasn't some fairy tale where the girl discovers her sexuality and all of a sudden found her best friend to be the sexiest woman in the world. No. She never even considered The Girl like that, this is the girl she'd bathed with on many occasions when they were little and someone who farted around her regularly. Of course she doesn't care about this stuff, but it made her mad that all of a sudden as soon as she comes out about liking girls, everyone thinks that her and The Girl will fall apart.

Nothing fell apart until The Girl met The Boy. They fell in love so quickly The BFF got whiplash. The Boy was good for The Girl. After all the heartbreak her friend had been through, she deserved a good guy to sweep her off her feet. And maybe it was because The BFF found herself isolated and cramped into this dark corner, one that left her blind to what was going on in her long time best friends life, and left her sad. She didn't want to have to force her way into The Girls life, but she didn't know how The Boy was treating her. If she needed to beat him up.

Thing is, The BFF was a simple girl, she didn't like lavish things and she would rather go out dancing for a date then to a fancy restaurant. She didn't mind losing control, or not have a full perspective; but this was her best friend. And she didn't know what to do.

It was the day that she was going to talk to The Girl, ask her how she was doing, see what was going on, when she noticed all the small things that had changed. For one, her hair was shorter, since when did she go without me to get her hair cut? The BFF thought. The Girl's usually obsessively clean locker was messier than ever, which confused The BFF even further because there were times when she would walk into her room and The Girl would be in the midst of cleaning her room. "Oh, I saw your snap and I saw the room was dirty so I thought I'd clean it." And no, it wasn't just the hair or the locker, it was also the presence of new people around her, people they haven't spoken to in years. Three girls surrounded The Girl, all of them dating (or almost at least) The Boy's friends. The BFF swallowed a lump in her throat, had so much really changed? Had she really lost her best friend to a bunch of girls that were dating her boyfriend's friends and didn't even know anything about her? Was the BFF no longer her BFF.

Normally, this would be a heated moment for The BFF, and it would have been if The Boy hadn't come up with a bright smile on his face lighting up her best friends eyes.

The BFF noticed that The Girl was doing fine without her, and that when she was ready, The Girl will come back. As they say, "If you love something let it go. If they love you back, they'll be back."

She is our third Bygone.