Scene 1

Peggy Schuyler, the youngest of the Schuyler sisters, rushed into town in a fluster. She had been given the task of delivering invitations to the guests of Lord Washington's ball that was to be held tonight, but there was a small problem. No one knew except her sisters, but Peggy couldn't read.

A crease formed on her forehead as she squinted at the names scrawled on the paper she had been handed. No matter how hard she tries, she couldn't read the names. Why had she been given this task out of all her sisters? What bad fortune she had, indeed. Out of all the people, why her? Peggy was determined to get the task done though, she couldn't fail the Lord Washington.

Peggy scanned the thin crowd of people wandering the small, Italian town. Her eyes landed on a group of three men sitting on an outside terrace of a cafe. One man, in a flashy magenta suit, clutched a worn book in his hand. Perhaps he could help me, Peggy thought to herself. She lifted her yellow colored dress, and shuffled over to them.

At her arrival, the three men looked up at her, stopping their idle chatting. A man in a blue colored jacket was the first to address her. He offered her a kind smile.

"Hello their, fair lady, is their something we can help you with?" He asked her.

Peggy nodded her head quickly. "Actually, yes. If it wouldn't be too much trouble..."

•••

Thomas had spent the morning in his room, playing sad melodies on his violin. His best friend, James Madison, listened to his friend mourn with discontent.

When noon rolled by, Madison was tired of hearing Thomas's sad music. He had had enough.

Madison pushed Thomas's door open, effectively startling the musician. "Thomas, I love you, but I just can't take any more sad violin songs! Come, let's go out into town. You have to remember that there's still good out there."

Thomas set down his violin, but made no effort to leave his room. "Madison, there is no good out there if my Maria won't have me! How unfair the world is, and just because she's a member of the Washington's court and I'm a Jefferson. Oh, I would do anything to have her with me."

Madison rolled his eyes at his friend's antics, and forcefully pulled Thomas out of his room. "Come, we can go to town. Get a nice lunch, you'll soon forget all about Maria. How about we invite your cousin, Aaron Burr, as well? Heaven knows you both must get out of this house."

Thomas sulkily went along with Madison's plan, and let his buff friend lead him out of the compound. Thomas and Madison met Thomas's cousin, Aaron, at the stables, and the trio saddled up their horses and headed into town.

Madison and Aaron were Thomas's closest friends, and they couldn't bare to see Thomas so heartbroken like this. Thomas had fell in love with Lady Maria Reynolds the moment he saw her. Unfortunately for him, Lady Maria was a distant relative of George Washington, the head of the Jefferson's rival family. Maria was too loyal to her family, and ended things with Thomas the moment she realized he was a Jefferson. Thomas had tried to win her back, but Maria was set on ignoring him.

It wasn't long before Thomas, Madison, and Aaron reached the town square. Thomas had almost forgotten what the happy, colorful square was like. This used to be his favorite place in Verona, until Maria called off their courtship here. Aaron led the way to Thomas's favorite cafe, Madison towing an almost like limp Thomas behind them. They took a table on the outside terrace, as it was a bright sunny day. Thomas had brought a book with him, as he wasn't in the mood to socialize.

He was about to open said book, when a young girl in a bright colored yellow dress approached the men, asking for assistance. Thomas would have normally waved her off, but this girl looked a fair amount like his beloved Maria. The book was pushed to the back of his mind as he put his attention on the young girl in front of him. Aaron had already begun talking with her, and the girl hastily replied.

"Actually, yes. If it wouldn't be too much trouble... I was tasked with handing out invitations to a ball tonight, but, it appears I can't read the guest list very well. I was wondering if one of you kind gentlemen could help?" The girl asked.

Madison's ears perked up at the girls request. This was the perfect opportunity to get Thomas out of his slump. A pretty young girl asking for help with invites for a luxury party? Perfect.

"You happen to be in luck, miss, in front of you is the most magnificent author in all of Verona. Not only can he write awing declarations, but he can read them as well." Madison said, with a gesture toward Thomas. This earned a chuckle from Aaron, an annoyed look from Thomas, and a relieved sigh from the the girl in front of them.

"Oh, that's wonderful. Could you tell me the names on the list?" She asked, handing Thomas the roll of paper with the guest list on it. Thomas sighed and read over the paper with growing interest.

"The following people have been invited to Lord Washington's feast and masquerade ball." Thomas read aloud, a little shocked. "Lord Charles Lee, and family. Duke John Jay, and his wife." Thomas continued to read the names off the list, until one name caught his eye. "Lord James Reynolds, and his sister, Lady... Maria Reynolds. We hope to see these people tonight at the Washington Estate."

Thomas hesitantly handed the list back to the girl in the yellow dress, who mumbled a hurried thank you, then scampered off to finish her task. A grin slowly slid across Thomas's face, and Madison frowned, realizing his friends plan immediately.

"Boys," Thomas grinned, "It looks like we have a party to crash."

A/N: Republishing this novel and actually finishing it this time!

I'll be posting a chapter a day. (If I remember to...) And I want to know how you guys want it to end. Happy, fluffy ending? Or... a more traditional Romeo/Juliet ending? Let me know in the comments!