Scene 9

"Thursday, Alexander? That's very soon." Hercules said, trying not to let his distress show.

Alexander shrugged. "That's when Washington wants it, and I'm not dragging my feet."

"And you say you don't know Y/N's opinion on the marriage?" Hercules asked. "That's a dangerous path."

Alexander waved him off. "Washington says she's grieving too much over Lafayette's death. He's smart to push the wedding ahead. Now she'll have me to comfort her."

Hercules was relieved when he saw Y/N walking toward the church so he didn't have to find a way to respond to Alexander. "Look, here comes your lady now."

"Lady Y/N!" Alexander brightened at her presence. "I'm happy to meet you again, my lady and wife."

"That may be true, when I'm your wife. We're not married yet, Alexander," Y/N reminded him.

"Have you come to make confession to Friar Hercules, Y/N?" Alexander asked, ignoring her previous comment.

"If I answered that, I'd be making confession to you, sir."

Alexander smirked. "Don't deny to him that you love me, then, Y/N."

"I'll confess to you that that is not so." Y/N responded quickly.

"Poor soul, you don't know what you say because you are so distraught over your cousin's death." Alexander reasoned. "I'll see you on Thursday for the wedding."

With that, Alexander took off from the church, leaving Hercules and Y/N in his wake. The two of them shared annoyed looks and continued into the chapel.

"This is a disaster, Hercules. I'm supposed to be married to Alexander on Thursday, but you've already consummated my marriage to Thomas." Y/N said in distress, she brandished a dagger that she had hidden in the folds of her skirts. "Please tell me you have a solution, because I'd rather kill myself than marry another man."

"Slow down, Y/N. If you're willing to die before you marry Alexander, I might have a solution for you." Hercules said.

A look of determination swept through Y/N's features. "You could tell me to jump off a tower, or become a thief, or hide in a graveyard with rotting corpses. All these things scare me, but I'd do them without dread or fear if it meant being with Thomas."

"Here's the plan. Go home and pretend to be happy about the wedding. But before you go to sleep, drink all the contents of this vial." Hercules plucked a vial with thick, dark liquid swishing around inside, and handed it to Y/N. "When you drink it, the blood in your veins will turn cold and your pulse will stop. Only long enough for you to be declared dead, and moved into your family's tomb. I will send for Thomas, and he will awaken you from your deathlike sleep."

Y/N turned the vial over in her hand, studying the content curiously. This plan could go terribly wrong. Perhaps the vial contained real poison and she'd never have a chance to wake up. Or what if Thomas didn't come, and she ran out of air in the tomb? But then again... if there was even a chance she could be reunited with her love, Y/N was willing to take the risk.

"Love will give me strength, and strength will help me with this plan. Farewell, Friar." Y/N said with a nod, turning to leave.

•••

Later in the evening, the Schuyler's were dressing Y/N up in her wedding gown to make sure everything was perfect for the next day.

"Oh, Y/N, you look lovely." Eliza gushed.

Angelica nodded in agreement. "You do look quite breathtaking. I'm glad you came to your senses, Thomas was so much trouble for you. Alexander will make a fine husband."

Y/N felt guilty for lying to her closest friends, but she knew it had to be done. She gave them a tight lipped smile, and a curt nod.

"Yes, I'm sure he will." Y/N yawned.

Eliza shared a soft smile with Angelica. "It seems to have gotten late. Y/N, you should rest, you have a big day coming up tomorrow."

You have no idea, Y/N thought to herself. "You're right, Eliza. Thank you both for everything. You may leave me now."

The sisters nodded, and exited Y/N's chambers. She watched them leave, a new wave of fear washing over her.

"Goodbye, only God knows when we'll meet again." Y/N murmured. "There is a cold fear in my veins, I should call them back to comfort me... no. In my desperate situation, I must act alone."

Picking up the skirts of her wedding gown, Y/N crawled onto her bed, and retrieved the vial Hercules' had given to her hours earlier. In the soft candlelight, the dark liquid seemed to swish back and forth menacingly. The doubt that the potion wouldn't work entered Y/N's mind again, but she was left with no other choice. She uncorked the vial and held it up to the stars in the sky.

"Raise a glass to freedom," she spoke softly, then brought the vial to her lips, drinking down the liquid that left an acidic taste on her tongue.

Slowly, the liquid began taking over her body. Y/N begin to feel cold as her limbs went numb. Her last thoughts were of Thomas as her heavy eyelids shut closed.

•••

Bright sunlight streamed in through the window of Y/N's bedroom, casting a glow over the bed where she laid. Shortly after the sun had arrived, Angelica and Eliza entered her room as well.

"Y/N!" Angelica called out. "It's time to wake up. It's your wedding day."

When no response came, Eliza rolled her eyes and made her way over to Y/N's bedside.

"Y/N? Are you..." Eliza's scream awoke every sleeping soul in the Washington compound.

The younger Schuyler turned to her sister with fear in her eyes. "Angelica? She's... she's.... Y/N's dead!"