Scene 6

Y/N paced back and forth in her room. "I sent the Schuyler's out at nine this morning, and they haven't returned. A half hour, Eliza said. It's nearly noon! Love's messengers should be swift, faster even, than the quickest sunbeams."

The Schuyler's just happened to enter her room at that very moment.

"Oh, there you darlings are. What has Thomas said? What news do you bring?" Y/N asked impatiently.

"Patience!" Eliza scolded. "We have just returned from running errands on your behalf, my lady. Give us a moment to rest, yes?"

Y/N frowned. "Apologies, ladies. I'm just desperate to hear what my love has said. Please, don't keep me waiting any longer."

"You've made a foolish choice, Y/N." Angelica put in. "Thomas Jefferson? Really? Though he is handsomer than any man, and much more clever as well. His friends are not the most polite, but he a gentleman. Well, do what you want, Y/N."

"And?" Y/N pestered. "What has he said of our marriage? What about that?"

Peggy crossed her arms. "You really are impatient, aren't you, Y/N?"

"Believe me," Y/N blushed. "I really, truly am sorry. But tell me, sweet sisters, what has my lover said?"

"Your lover says," Angelica began, "like a true, honest, courteous, kind, and I believe honorable—where is your mother?"

The eldest Schuyler looked around nervously.

"Where is my mother? Inside, I believe. Where else would she be? So that's what he said?" Y/N giggled. "My love, like a true gentleman, said, 'Where is your mother?'"

Eliza rolled her eyes. "For heavens sake, you are impatient. From now on, take care of your messages yourself, Y/N."

"Come on! You're making such a fuss. What did my Thomas say?" Y/N asked.

Peggy grinned. "Are you allowed to take confession today, Y/N?"

"I may." Y/N nodded.

"Then go!" Angelica instructed. "There's a husband waiting to make you his wife at Friar Hercules' chapel. We must go fetch a rope ladder for your love to use to climb to your window when it's dark. Now go!"

•••

"May the heavens be happy with this marriage, so nothing unfortunate happens later to make us regret it." Friar Hercules sighed. He still wasn't sure he was okay with this whole thing.

Thomas nodded. "Yes, I pray against unfortunate acts as well. But whatever may happen, it cannot ruin the joy I feel when I look at her. All you must do is join us with holy words, and our death defying love shall prosper. It's enough for me if I can only call her mine."

"These violent delights have violent ends." Mulligan warned. "Love each other in moderation, that is the key to long lasting love. Too fast is as bad as too slow."

"Am I late?"

Thomas and Friar Hercules turned to see Y/N at the door. She looked like an angel descending as she swiftly made her way past the pews.

"You're right on time, my love." Thomas smiled broadly as he embraced her in his arms. "Y/N, tell me in words what our marriage shall be like."

"I can imagine more than I can say. Anyone who can count how much they have is poor. My love for you has made me so rich, I can't even count half my wealth." She declared.

Friar Hercules sighed. "Come with me now. Lord knows I can't leave the two of you alone together until after I have united you in marriage."

Hercules led the two up to the altar, and after a quick exchange of vows, they were married.