Make a Wish

I could just watch that gif all day <3

Based on a comic of Billy Batson/Captain Marvel/Shazam

TRIGGER WARNING: Hospital scenes and one brief description of gore

Aqualad, Kid Flash, Nightwing, and Artemis stood outside the small building, decked out in their hero gear. 

"Are you certain this is the right place?" Kaldur asked Richard. He could hardly believe that the brick building in front of them was supposed to be a hospital.

The boy wonder nodded. "If we were going to do as Black Canary suggested, you know, really get to visit and connect with the kids and all, it would have to be a place that didn't require in-depth background checks for the sake of secret IDs. Besides," He started towards the front door, "the kids here need a bit of a lift more than anywhere else."

Before entering behind Artemis, Kaldur looked around the neighborhood the hospital was situated in. Gotham was a bit of a dark cesspool. The people who stayed here were either crazy or didn't have enough money to leave, much less pay for a child's hospital bills.

One of the kids let out a shout when the door slammed shut. "It's Nightwing and Artemis!"

From the play area, a stampede of pale and sickly-looking kids hobbled forward on IV poles and walkers, swarming Nightwing and Artemis, heroes they recognized from their local news.

"Look, it's Kid Flash!" cried a girl with frizzy red pigtails and a wheelchair. Some kids started attempting to use Wally as a jungle gym, but didn't seem to notice Kaldur.

A young nurse with her hair pulled back haphazardly pulled back into a ponytail and smelling faintly of black coffee ran out from behind the desk to greet them.

"Mister Nightwing, thank you so much for coming," She smiled tiredly, bags growing beneath her hazel eyes. Even tired, with smudged makuep and sweaty strands of hair sticking to her forehead, there was something beautiful about her.

"It's our pleasure, Eva," Richard grinned, shaking her hand. He tried to hold on to it for longer than he needed to, but Eva wasn't paying attention. 

"I've heard a lot about you, Miss Artemis, I'm sorry I haven't gotten to meet you before," She shook hands with her next.

"I've heard a lot about your work here, Doctor Hamato, it's an honor to meet you."

"Call me Eva, please, all of you," she added. "Doctor Hamato was my dad."

"You must be Kid Flash," She said, briskly shaking Wally's hand and moving on before the fastest kid alive could get in a single word.

"And you're Aqualad," She smiled at Kaldur as she shook his hand, and her shoulders relaxed.

"I'm so glad all four of you are here. We've got a full house already and I'm getting reports of an attack from Crazy Quilt over on main street, so I want to clear the waiting room just in case."

Kaldur was surprised to see how enamoured the children were to be meeting real-life heroes, they paid more attention to Nightwing's instructions than they did their own pediatrician.

"Is this medical center only for children?" Kaldur asked Doctor Hamato, carrying a boy with a cast on his leg and a single crutch under his arm.

"Yup," She nodded, "my dad founded this place so that kids wouldn't have to be left bleeding out to die in a back alleyway or in the back of an ambulance since the regular hospitals are overcrowded daily. By the time I was a teenager we'd expanded to have stay-in rooms, like a regular hospital, where we could treat the kids with the proper equipment or just make sure they had a clean bed and warm blankets where we could observe them overnight."