Starlight (xreader)

Another one with Emma, from Kal's POV (FINALLY)

Inspired by Taylor Swift's "Starlight", in the media.

There were many differences between my home and the surface world. Not all of those differences were enjoyable, such as getting used to the dryness, jibes directed at my gils but Tula, Garth, and I all agreed that it was more fun to dance out on the surface than back in Atlantis, where the water inhibited our movements.

But just because we enjoyed dancing, did not guarantee that we were good at it.

Garth and Tula were much better at dancing than I was, I knew this, and couldn't help but feel jealous, since I had been visiting the surface world much more often than they had.

The team was investigating rumors of the venom drug being sold at a nightclub which was located aboard a cruise ship. It docked at Gotham during the day, but at night local youth and young adults would climb aboard for a party at sea. Some would try to argue that because it was located on the sea, it did not need to follow the laws of any government and it was out of anyone's jurisdiction, but they were wrong.

The seas belong to Atlantis, and my friends and I were authorized to act in the name of such by order of King Orin. 

Aquaman could have done the op well enough by himself or with an army of well-trained Atlantean soldiers to ensure cooperation, but Black Canary suggested it might be a more relaxing and "fun" mission for the team to participate in.

Thus far, I was not having any "fun". 

Aquagirl, Tempest, and most of the team were having their fun in the main deck, blending with the crowd to listen in for any whispers of Kobra Venom, Robin and Kid Flash were waiting to identify the drug should any samples of it be produced, Artemis and Zatanna fended off any suspicious guards who may be connected to  and I was leading the op from afar as usual.

"You look bored," Emma said, handing me a glass of water. She had finally "busted open the piggybank," as she put it, and finally splurged at one of those designer brand stores to buy high-end clothes for everyone on the team to make their disguises look more believable. The slimming, short dress she wore now looked very nice on her, but it was not one that she would ever wear unless it was for the mission.

She caught me staring at her and smirked, much to my embarassment. "Soak it up, Fish Boy, after tonight I'm burning it." She declared.

"My apologies," I insisted. She waved it off, leaning over the railing.

"You're my boyfriend, you get a free pass, unlike most of the idiots in there," She indicated the crowd with her thumb.

"Anything I should take care of?" I asked, leaning over the railing next to her.

She shook her head, taking a long sip. "I gave them a fair warning. But back to you. Why are you bored?" She poked my shoulder playfully. "Why aren't you dancing out there with everyone else? I know you want to."

"But so do you," I pointed out.

"I've already been dancing all night with Raquel and Zee and half the guys from my school. Why haven't I seen you out there? You have fun when we dance at the cave."

I sighed, looking back over my shoulder at where Tula and Garth were dancing, encouraged by the cheers of those from Gotham Academy.

"I am not as good at it as-"

"Oh come on!" She set down our glasses on a nearby table. "That's no excuse. Here, this is my favorite song, I'll dance with you, come on," She gripped my wrist tightly, yet gently, pulling me after her towards the dance floor.

Over the din of the teenager crowd, I faintly recognized the artist of the song as one of Emma's favorites, singing of dreamers, and starlight, and impossibility. 

I stuck close to Emma, copying the way she moved and holding her hand tightly, scared of losing track of her in the large crowd. But she always came back to me, she never let go, and she never cried out when I accidentally stepped on her toes.

She pulled herself back to me, hooking her arms around the back of my neck, the heels of her boots making it possible for her to rest her head on  my shoulder. I could feel her breath on my neck as I held her close.

"What do you dream about?" She whispered. Somehow, I could hear it, clear as a bell, above everything else on the ship.

"Atlantis. The ocean. My mother. The team.

"You."

I knew she was smiling.

"What's in your dreams?" I asked.

"Flying, saving the day, you, the future..." She trailed off, gnawing on her bottom lip.

"Am I in your future?" I wondered suddenly.

She placed her hand on my chest, right above my heart, and looked up at me.

"Of course you are, Fish Boy, it's just..."

"Just what?"

Emma's head fell forward against my chest. "I know you had your dreams of the surface world, and I had my dreams of flying, but as for the future...given who we are, what we are...it'd be impossible to have a happy future together."

"Are you listening to Batman again?" I teased.

"Maaaybe," she admitted with a giggle. "Wonder Woman also has this idea that superheroes should be with someone who isn't super, like Wally's aunt and uncle, someone to keep  us grounded in reality."

I thought about it for a moment, and I could sense, for a moment, Emma's sudden fear. 

"First off, I don't think I could marry anyone who was outside of "this life", someone who didn't get how chaotic my life is, and second off, look around you, look at our friends, at us. We are the impossible."

"True," She sighed contentedly. "You always know what to say, Kal."

"But you always know what to do," I told her, "I needed this dance, thank you."

She grinned, and I lifted her up slightly to be able to kiss her.

As we fell back into the dance, crime and drugs and teammates forgotten, I could hear her breathlessly singing along with the song, a huge smile on her face.

"Don't you see the starlight, starlight; Don't you dream impossible things?"