Riverdale: The Town with Pop

Ever since I was 12, my parents wouldn't stop reminiscing about their nostalgic past at Riverdale. Even when I had the luxury of living like a goddess in New York, I wanted to actually try out a milkshake at Pop's Chock'lit Shoppe. Like a goddess you ask? Well yes, that is how my parents would describe it. I am the daughter of Hiram Lodge. But that's really nothing to brag about. He hardly has time for me or Ronnie. I've always preferred Mum to him. Why? It's simple. She has a warm, welcoming aura around her and he doesn't. She loves me. He doesn't. And that's that.

But now that dream had come true. We were moving to Riverdale.

Not of our own volition really. Father was arrested for fraud and embezzlement. Something was wrong with his business, but I had Mum to confide in. I trusted her, and she told me everything that I needed to know, and most things that I was curious about. Of course, no one ever reveals everything. Not even those closest to you. But I knew something was off. One tiny detail didn't quite fit in. Fortunately or unfortunately, I could not do very much about it. I may have grown up in a posh neighbourhood in New York, but Mum told me that I have the vintage heart of Riverdale.

But moving wasn't easy. It is never easy. To leave behind everything connected to one's past is rather difficult when you have never been anywhere else, memorable enough to live in.

"Snap out of it Clematis!" Veronica shouted in my ear, her voice hoarse as she had been staring at me for the past thirty minutes.

"Did I space out again?"

"Mmhm" she nodded, "you need to stop doing that. Your eyes go all misty and creepy. It was like you were-"

"In a trance, I know." I interrupted.

"We're going to a new school. And you're in highschool this time, sis. Please try to act normal. No morbid streaks. No debates about cannibalism. As much as I hate to say this, just give off that new girl aura."

"I'll just blend into the shadows, you can have the limelight."

"Nope. A Lodge never fades with the crowd. We're known to stand out."

"Oh, Ronnie. We will stand out. We're the daughters of a criminal!-"

"Your father is not a criminal, young lady." Mum stepped into the room, holding the door wide open. "M'hija , how many times should I tell you that it's a misunderstanding? Your father is a gentle soul. It may not seem like it at times, most of the time, but he loves you."

I looked down at my feet. Ronnie placed a comforting hand on my shoulder, which I shrugged off. I scowled at her. Sometimes she could be really annoying.

"Come now. The movers are here." Was the last thing Mum said before we shifted.

We shuffled into the car, and of course it was a stretch limo. I wondered how the frigging things ever turned corners. To my genuine surprise, it fluidly moved around the curb and we drove on to the highway. There was no turning back now. We were off to Riverdale, the town with pep.

A few hours seemed like days. And I got motion sick. Shallow slopes and tiny hills made me want to hurl my guts out. My skin was literally losing its colour. I needed to get out of the car for some time. Veronica silently snored, her mouth wide open and her head lolling to the side, resting on the headrest of the backseat. Mum was on the brink of dreamland. As much she would be bothered by it, I patted her back.

"Mum, I'm-"

"Feeling sick again, m'hija?"

"Is there a finish-the-sentence streak in the Lodge family?"

"Hmm, very funny Violet."

"Clematis. I go by Clematis now."

"Fine Clematis." She began to converse with the driver. "Yeah, just pull up on the side."

I stepped out of the car, my legs wobbling from the contact with the damp mud underneath my feet. It must have rained sometime ago, I thought. I took a deep breath, the scent of pine floating thick through the air. I always liked the smell of leaves and trees after it had rained. The kind I would experience all around me in the backyard of our house. Some memories would stay on with me, I guess. There's no point in denying that. I plucked a fresh grass blade from the clump next to my feet. It looked so bright in contrast with my dark clothing.

"We don't have all week, Vio- Clematis." said a sleepy Veronica, just waking up to reality.

"Coming." I snapped.

I slunk into the car, like a shady sleuth would in a dark alley. No matter what Ronnie would say, I would not gleam like a jewel in the grass. I just wanted to stay away from it all. I hoped she would let me. My phone bleeped. Over and over again. It was a call from my "friend" from New York, Cass. A friend is someone one confides in. Not someone who one pours all their misery onto. But Cass was never very good at English, nor at understanding people. Again something must have happened. Not knowing what to do, I cut the call. Immediately I received a beeping message. For two seconds I ignored the purple light flashing on my phone. But curiosity got the better of me. I unlocked my phone.

Cass Houston: We r soo over. U hve been ignoring me fr soooo long. I hate u.

Me: Great. Good riddance. Also, you have horrible grammar.

I blocked her and deleted the chat. I had just lost the only person who actually liked me for my listening capabilities in the whole of New York. Great. New start. No point. Seeing my sullen face (more sullen than usual) Veronica shifted over to my side. She looked at me, her black eyes definitely full of concern.

"Spill it."

"I just broke up with my best friend."

"Hey, c'mere. It's okay, you've got me. If you need a shoulder to-"

"To cry on? No. I don't. I just think that friends are just overrated."

"Never say that. You just haven't had the time to socialize. In Riverdale, we might find someone. I guess..." I could tell she was thinking about her friends back in New York City. I gave her a much needed hug. She sobbed into the crook of my neck, soaking my hoodie. I didn't mind like usual. I looked up at the ceiling of the car. Nothing but synthetic grey fur. I sighed. My eyelids drooped as I slowly fell asleep, along with my sister.

And, there is the first chapter! I hope you like it! I worked very hard on this! Any suggestions? Write them down in the comments! A shoutout to -WiseGal-!