To Revel Without a Cause

V had taken care of Chuck Clayton. Apparently Betty had gone "Dark Side" to help her. Chuck was suspended from school, the Playbook? Confiscated. It seemed as if the school was in disarray, but yet rather peaceful after the death of Jason Blossom. Except for a certain something I was suspicious of. What is that you ask? Not what. Who. And that who? Archie Andrews.

Ever since he started taking music lessons at school, he acquired a rather strange behavioural pattern. He was acting aloof, distant almost. He wouldn't pay attention in class, nor at recess. Ronnie seemed more worried than me, and Betty more than her. They were planning something, and obviously keeping it from me as well. Jughead on the other hand, had a crisis of his own, which I was helping him manage. His venue of employment, the Twilight Drive-In, was sold to an unknown buyer and was soon to be demolished.

Frantically he paced back and forth in the office of the blue and gold, frequently biting his finger nails and stumbling ever so often. His dad was in jail, he had nowhere to go. Maybe Archie could lend him a hand and let him stay at his house for a couple weeks. But Jug didn't want to be a burden. My mother would never allow him to stay with me, even if she was more lenient than most others.

Then he stopped. Just stopped.

"I know nothing of this buyer, and the owner refuses to tell me anything. Well, considering the situation, I really can't do much. However, would you guys be interested in coming for the last picture show at least?"

A ripple of relief washed through the gang.

"Of course Jug, we'll be there" assured Betty.

"Anything for you man," said Archie, grinning. Veronica said nothing, but conveyed through her glance that she would be there. I squeezed his shoulder and smiled at him. At least he wasn't morose about it.

Later on in the corridors, Cheryl Blossom, aka Cheryl Bombshell, approached me. "Your sister's a fine dancer, I'll give you that, but why didn't you show up for the trials?" she demanded. I took a step back, not wanting to be physically closer to anyone than necessary, and said "I don't like to dance. I don't dance." She scoffed, "anyone can dance, but not just anyone can make it to the Vixens. I'm giving you another chance. Today, recess, the gymnasium. Also, wear the uniform I gave you." I never really got it, how she managed to cover up the fact that she had lost something so dear to her. She may have fooled others, but I could see the pain in her chocolate eyes.

Most of the morning went by quickly, leaving me rather alone. Jughead and Betty worked on the Jason case, Ronnie and Arch were busy, Kevin was probably with Moose and Midge. Just before recess, a familiar asphyxiating scent of deodorant wafted down the corridors, its obvious source behind me.

"Soon to be Vixen, are we?" he asked, eyeing my outfit.

"Hopefully I won't get chosen."

He ran his hands through his hair, ruffling it a bit. "You'll do fine, Lodge." he squeezed my shoulder, whispered in my ear and ran off to catch up to some other Bulldogs. I shuddered and clutched my shoulder, nearly clawing at it.

"Meet me at Pop's after school," he had said. Well, something to look forward to on this lonely day at school.

I trudged sluggishly to the gymnasium, people in the corridors looking at me in what I thought was their version of disgust? I shrugged it off as I pushed open the doors to the gymnasium. I had done ballet for a year when I was little; I had retained the flexibility but not the grace. It would be amusing to see Cheryl shell-shocked at the fact that I simply cannot dance.

The doors swung open, revealing a rather astonished Ron, Betty and a smirking Cheryl.

"So the offer did lure you, to-be Vixen."