I'm Outta Time

Author Note- Dec 2008 Liam / Dec 1980 John

The police dropped me off outside Our Kid's house. I thanked them for the lift to stall a little longer, they offered to come with me but I insisted once again, it had to come from me. It took ages just to cross the street, to reach his door. I didn't want to. He wasn't gonna hear it.

I knocked, I never knock but it was early in the morning, I couldn't just go barging into his house. I waited with my arms folded to my body being it was a cold and frosty morning.

He answered the door minutes later wearily. "What's that police car doing there? What have you done?" he accused, he meant to sound jokily but the suspicion was there.

"Just let me in, will ya?" I was too tired and too cold to talk out there. "It's freezing out here."

"No! If I let you in they'll come and raid the place."

I had to stop myself from calling him an idiot and questioning what he had to hide these days, it wasn't the time for that. "If they were here for a raid they'd do it no matter what." I pointed out. "Please, let me in. This is important and I'm not telling ya out on the street."

He reluctantly let me passed him. "What? What could you possibly have to fucking tell me so urgently at this hour? What's it got to do with the police?"

"They had to deliver the news, they had you down as living at mine."

"Why? I've never lived at yours."

I had no idea, I hadn't thought to question it, bureaucracy, who cares? "Forget the police. Just listen to me, yeah?"

"What is it?"

Here it goes. "Look, you're gonna hate me and you can be pissed and scream and shout at me all you want..."

"Tell me, Noel." he demanded impatiently.

"Maybe you should sit down or summat first."

Yeah, I was still stalling but I didn't fucking want to bring Our Kid's world crashing down, did I? I didn't know what I was supposed to say or how to say it? Was there a way that caused least damage?

"No. Who do ya think you are coming round my house, telling me what to do?" He scowled at me. "Spit it out for fucks sake."

"John..."

"What? What could you know about my husband when he's in New York?" Says spit it out, then I can't get a word in edgeways. He was blowing his fuse already, for fuck's sake, why did I chose to do this?

"Someone shot him, Liam." I just said it, no more stalling, no more trying to protect him.

"That's sick, even for you."

"No, just listen. He's dead. They got him straight to hospital but they couldn't do anything for him." I blurted it out as quick as I could, stating the facts the police had told me. "I'm so sorry Liam."

"Where d'you get off coming over here saying shit like that? What if Grace or Dylan woke up and heard this crap?!" He'd be shouting the place down by now if it wasn't for them.

"I know it's hard to take but I'm here for ya." I hadn't exactly accepted it yet never mind him, he never listened but he had to this time. "I'll help you tell them in the morning. If you want."

"You think this is so funny don't ya? Just because we're apart don't mean you can make up a pack of lies about him. Oh, wait, I've just heard, Sara's been stabbed. Sorry mate, she's dead."

"Liam, I wouldn't joke about this. John's dead, some lunatic fan shot him."

"Fuck off!" He walked away, back to bed.