Before You Start Your Day

This is based off the song Before You Start Your Day by Twenty One Pilots. Everything in italics is part of the song. I'm going to try to start updating regularly again. Sorry if this isn't my best writing. I'm in poetry mode because of school.

Trigger warning: there is talk of suicide.

~*~*~*~*~

Hannibal Lecter sleeps peacefully in his bed in his home in Baltimore. I watch over him. I used to sleep beside him, but now I don't sleep, so I watch him, longing for his touch.

Open the slits in your face and start your day

I can whisper to him, and sometimes he'll hear me. Small messages telling him that I'm okay.

I watch as he opens his eyes the sound of my voice. He doesn't know that it's me, he'll assume it's just his memories of me calling out to him. Someday he'll know. Someday we'll be together.

You don't have much time to make your slits look just right

I remind him. He has an appointment with a patient this morning. I watch as he bolts upright and hops out of bed. He strips out of his sleep clothes and lazily chooses one of his suits from his closet. It's his blue and grey one. One of my favourites; but then again most of them are.

I'm in your mind

"I know, Will," he responds, not knowing that I can hear him, "I'll never get you out of it."

I smile.

I'm singing

"I can hear you, Will," he says, "I am so grateful that you're finally at peace. So grateful..."

I know that he's grateful, I can feel it off him, but he also wishes that there'd been another way. I wang to tell him that it's not his fault, that there's nothing he could've done, but I'd already tried.

I'm singing la-da la-da la-da la-da la-da la-da da

I sing to him. Here, wherever I am, it's nothing but music and happiness. I wish I could take Hannibal with me, to this lovely place, so he can escape his pain, just like I escaped mine.

Look in the mirror and ask your soul if you're alright

Hannibal sighs as I say those words. He sits down on the edge of the bed and stares down at his hands. When I was with him, he was always up and ready to go early in the morning. By the time I woke up, breakfast was long ready. He'd wake up house before his appointments. But here he sat At 9:40am, twenty minutes before his first appointment of the day.

Put on the glitter that your soul hides behind

I remind him.

"I can't, Will. I can't do this without you. You're at peace, but I am not. I have not yet bothered to clean up the blood stains in our bathroom where you took your life. It's the last trace of you. I thought I couldn't live with you, but the truth is I couldn't live without you. I am so sorry."

You're in my mind

Hannibal picked himself up and walked to the bathroom. He opens the door to find it still blood stained as the day I died. The blood itself, of course, had been cleaned up when the ambulance had taken my body.

He stares at himself in the mirror and I approach him from behind. I can see us, like we once were. But I know Hannibal can't. All he sees is a man getting old, with greying hair, and bags under his eyes. There's no trace of his once clean and well kept appearance. He wears his suits like a mask, to convince the world that he's still the same man that he was. But I know better than that. I'd been watching him ever since I'd slipped away on the bathroom floor.

I'm singing

Hannibal opens the medicine cabinet, and reaches for my pills. The ones I used to take to aid my mental illness. He opens the bottle and pours some into his hand.

"I'm coming for you, Will," he says, then swallows a handful, and then another, and then another.

Nowhere were they holy

He seemed fine, and the next moment he fell to the floor. Propping himself up against the wall, he closed his eyes and began to accept his fate. I sat beside him and held his hand.

Open up your eyes and see

He listens to me, and opens up his eyes. His eyes catch mine, and he does a double take. He can't quite see me yet, but he will.

"Will?"

He's not letting go. I encourage him to let go of his life, and squeeze his hand. He feels it.

The clouds above will hold you

Suddenly he can see me.

"Will?"

The clouds above will sing

"Will."

"We're going to be together forever now. I promise."

"I'm so sorry-"

"Don't be. It's all okay now."

And in your mind

We're singing la-da la-da la-da la-da la-da la-da da