Deffiance is cool too

"You know you can't have fun until you break a rule or two"
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
He was still walking towards me, I recognized him from going to the record store last fall, the only place I was allowed to go on that side of town. I knew that his name was River, and that He picked out some really cool Rolling Stones and Pink Floyd albums. He knew my name and we talked about music for a little while, his parents were really something. They were kinda like hippies, I thought they were pretty cool. He was dressed a white t-shirt and jeans, standard clothes for kids around Birch Lane (the other side of town) he was really a handsome guy; sincere and welcoming sort of echoed off of him. He strolled over to me, "do you need help with your bike?" He said with a calm smile; "no I don't thank you though" I said quickly back, "it looks like you do" he said smirking back. "Okay but I'm not supposed to be here so can you help me and kinda hurry please?" I said trying to be polite, the last thing I needed was confrontation from someone I didn't know. "Am I that repulsive?" He said jokingly as he bent down to examine my bike, "No, really I'm not exactly allowed out here and I need to be home soon" "and why is that?" He said still kinda laughing at my nervousness, "because I'm not allowed to be like; you know; around this area" I said quickly and embarrassed I don't have anything against this boy, and I don't want to sound snobby. "You don't live far from here what do you mean, oh you mean you can't be seen here" he didn't seem offended, heck I would be if someone insulted my town. "No I mean, I don't know, really I-" "I get it I really do, I know where your from. Come on we can get your bike fixed and I can make sure you get home" he told me. My bike wasn't able to be fixed I ruined it, I wrecked it. There wasn't any repairing it.

"I can't fix your bike, you really wrecked it bad didn't ya" he helped me up from me sitting on the ground. "Thanks, and yeah I guess I did, well my grandparents aren't getting home until 10:00, there getting back from the airport then. I gotta get home" I said trying to pick up my bike, "hey if they aren't coming home we can go out and do something, you know have lunch, it's Friday so we might as well do something fun" "I really can't I'm not supposed to be out this late anyway-" "you said they aren't home 'till 10:00" "yeah but I'm not supposed to" "hey come on have some fun break a rule, you can't have fun until you break a rule or two" I thought about it and it lead to two thoughts 1: I was kinda depressed about the bike, my mom bought me that bike band now I have to throw it away, 2: if no one sees me and I get home I'm fine, "yeah sure lets go"

It was around 4:30 and we walked into a "steak n' shake, I've never been there. He said it was a cool place with good music, and I did trust his taste in music that's for sure. We split French fries and we also shared a strawberry milkshake, he said he loved this place because it's the only restaurant he knows of that can make his milkshake with soy milk. I found out today he was a vegan, and not a lot of people around here are vegan. "So Sophia tell me about what you're into now a days" he said smirking at me laughing as did I, "I don't know I still love music, you know The Clash, Pink Floyd, Led Zepplin, The Rolling Stones, David Bowie, The Beatles." I said stirring our shake, "I know that, tell me something I don't know about you, you sing and you love music, what sports you do. What interests you?"
"Well I do tennis, volleyball, I paint, I read, I write. I like outer space, art, and traveling" I said bored about what I was talking about hearing those questions a lot and often. "You're cooler than that, I see the way you dance to music no one else likes and hear you talk about things no one thinks about, you're a smart girl, you see things for what they are"
He said, nice compliment and I was pleasantly surprised he dished them out that often. "So what do you do Mr. River Phoenix?" I asked him teasingly "uh I'm kinda an open book, you see either people don't care what kids from My block do unless it's something bad" he said not caring about the cards he's been dealt, "and if it's something good you don't hear about it, right?" I said "exactly" he replied. When I expected the check to come it never did, the waitress came back around and I asked for it, she said, "no honey it's on the house you should see this boy of yours play guitar he brings In more business than about 10 of these checks put together" I thanked her anyway and he blushed at me smiling at him, "so you play guitar?" I asked, "yeah I do, one of the few things I'm good at" he said, "now I'm sure that's not true, I wanna come see you play, any Rolling Stones songs happen to be played while you preform?" I said smirking back at him, "hey come watch and you'll see." "Okay I'm up on that, when"
"Tomorrow actually, by the way it's 7" "okay ill see you later I said getting up and walking out he walked me home and I looked forward to seeing him play the next day.