Aftershock

CASSIE

I never could imagine my life with anyone after Rachael died, and since the day she died, I knew I would never love again, not that I ever really had, yet having Marley was enough for me for a long time now. But after all Kate and I have been through within the last 12 hours, having thought that we lost yet another part of our lives, I was now beginning to question my feelings for her. How is it that you can meet someone and completely click? How is it that right when you think love doesn't exist for everyone, up rises someone who makes you question everything you thought you already knew and makes you begin to want what you never really had yet were content without for so long? As I lay here in the darkness, unable to sleep, listening to the soft talking in the hallway, the steady breathing of both Marley and Tommy, across the room from Kate, my heart races as I begin the never ending dialogue in my head and soul.

After finding out that all that Marley needed was a few stitches right above her knee where she had fallen on the rock of the gorilla habitat, I could finally breathe again, and with that breath was a prayer of thankfulness. I had so many questions, the main one being, who was this so-called "bad man" whom the kids were frightened of? Why did they crawl down into the gorilla habitat? How traumatized is Marley now seeing that she always has been afraid of monkeys.

I roll over, unable to get comfortable, and after glancing at my phone for the millionth time, I sigh as I sit up and slide on my shoes. I quietly leave the room, but no sooner had I stepped into the hallway, then Kate was in tow.

"Where do you think you're going at this ungodly hour, Miss Jeffries?" she whispers in my hair as she grabs my upper arm, leading me into the hallway.

I smile as I turn, "I don't see you sleeping any..."

"Smarty pants..." she laughs softly then yawns. "Can't sleep either?"

I shake my head, "Not a wink...I have so many questions and not enough answers."

We both are speaking in hushed tones, and I get an idea. "Why don't we get some coffee and head down to the waiting room around the corner and map out an outline from the bits and pieces we know from what has happened tonight..."

Kate looks at me like I've lost my mind then burst into a chuckle, "You really are an organized teacher, aren't you?"

"What's that supposed to even mean?" I retort quickly, my feelings stepped on.

"Hey," she brushes my cheek softly which makes me blush instantly, "I'm learning that you're sensitive, but what you need to realize is I only tease people I like..."

She ends this softly as we lock eyes, but I'm not ready for this next step no matter what my heart and feelings are screaming, and I just bite my lower lip as I sigh deeply, "We've had a long day....sorry."

She just nods and reaches out to squeeze my hand as we head to grab coffee at the machine I saw down the hallway. After, we make our way to the small waiting room and sit at a table. I pull out a pen and notepad that I had in my purse. Kate sits across from me, a look of mockery in her eyes, but I refuse to joke around. This is serious to me; the last thing I feel like we should be doing is flirting.

-------

KATE

Before we head home the next day, we have to stop by the police station so the kids can give their statements. I dread this part because not only do I know what it entails, but I was also worry that it may be too much on Tommy. I hate this part because I feel like he has already been through enough over the past twenty fours, yet the police need to know what happened especially since  they said they had to get away from the "bad man."