Funeral

Chapter One

"Grandpa is dead, but his legacy deserves to live on.", Jace was nearly done with his tribute to his grandpa. He lifted his head up to face the ceiling of the cathedral and breathed through his nose. Three rows watched somberly, family members adorned in black suits and attire. Small children and babies sat upon their mothers' laps, eager for the young man to speak.

But he took his time.

If he didn't, Jace would forever resent missing the opportunity to honor his grandfather.

"We were very close, as you can see in these photos.", he gestured up to a screen projecting a slideshow of pictures. Jace choked when he saw himself as a young toddler experiencing the beach for the first time, with his grandpa.

"He was such a sweet old man. No, not old.", he chuckled nervously. "Wise. He was sweet, and wise, and caring. He was generous and kindhearted and strong. The kind of person who deserves to live forever.", he halfway mumbled the last part and sighed.

"He is the man that I aspire to be every single day..",  Jace frowned and lowered his brows, his heart beating quicker with every millisecond spent, "It was always his dream for me to go to college and join a fraternity, like he did. To honor his legacy, I've pledged to be a member of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon brotherhood at the University of California, Los Angeles. It's his wish that I do great things in SAE, and I fully intend to make him proud."

Mrs. Norman was visibly shocked. Her youngest child did not bring up his grandpa's wish at all since his death. She had tried to talk to Jace about joining the fraternity and accepting the financial offer from his grandpa, but he would yell at her aggressively or simply ignore her and change the subject. She was anxious to talk to him at dinner.

The funeral service ended and the body would be cremated.

The Normans shuffled out the cathedral doors and into the black SUV waiting outside for them. Xander, then Glory, followed by their parents and lastly, Jace. A member of their family closed the door behind them and off they went, back to their abnormally quiet home in the hills. The hillside suburbs. Also home to the coyotes, the raccoons and the rich elite. Whom were not much different from the two aforementioned wild animals, if you asked Jace.

He hated the circumstances that he was in, but making the choice to leave home and pursue a career as a student was something that he honestly couldn't wait to do. And it helped that he would be receiving such a large sum of money from his grandpa. 

He wouldn't let his mother know that, though.

The house was eerily still and no one said anything. Not one word. Mrs. Norman hurried out of the living room to do some busy work in the kitchen and start on dinner, while the rest of the household left to their bedrooms. Jace frowned deeply, clenching his fist and made his way up the staircase which led to his acute bedroom in the corner of the house. He was relieved to be moving out of the bedroom he had since he was three years old and into a more accommodating and modern suite in the SAE frathouse.

Beep.. Beep.. BEEP.. Beep.. Beep.. BE-

Jace turned over in his bed and peeped out of the covers to grab his phone.

"Hey."

"Hey, Jace! It's Ross from SAE. I found your number in the chapter directory. Just wanted to reach out to you and give you some last minute reminders about the Pledge Reception and After Party tonight."

On the other line was Ross Lynch, Vice President and active Co-Chairman of Sigma Alpha Epsilon at UCLA. Ross was the friendly type, very blunt, and at times, flamboyant - unlike his counterpart. There were rumors around campus that he was gay, which later proved to only be half true.

Jace fingered the inseam of his loose tie and nodded faintly, "Cool, but before you start, I'm not sure if I'll even be going."

"Why is that?", Ross questioned in a worried tone.

"Well, for one, I don't have a date."

"We can get you one. Easily. We are, after all, the most prestigious fraternity at school."

"Okay, so I'll have a date. But what about Pledge Night? I forgot how the recitation goes.."

Jace lied. He had been going over the pledge recitation for weeks and even performed it in front of his bathroom mirror, in the shower, and through store aisles while shopping for groceries.

"Don't worry. You're not going to be the only one. Plenty of pledges forget. It won't be counted against you in any way. I forgot parts of mine when I pledged."

"Will I get in trouble for drinking underage?"

"Drinking is encouraged.", Ross laughed at himself. "It wouldn't be a real SAE party without some kegs, tequila, and hard liquor."

"Good, because I need a drink, or ten.", Jace chuckled softly into the phone and sighed.

"Is everything okay?", Ross inquired.

"My grandpa's funeral was today and yes, I'm excited for Pledge Night - but I might just leave the party after a few drinks."

"Oh, damn.. I'm sorry to hear that, man."

"Yeah", Jace nodded, even if Ross couldn't see him nodding.

"We don't want you down in the dumps. That's what the Brotherhood is here for. Is it okay if I tell the rest of Leadership about your situation? I'm sure we can find a way to help take some pressure off of you tonight."

"Mhm. It's still weird to me how a group of guys whom I barely know are willing to be my friends and look out for me."

"Listen, Jace. SAE only recruits the best of the best. Not every frat on campus has a brotherhood as close or loyal as we are."

"It's an honor, no doubt. I'm grateful that you chose me.", Jace responded with angst.

"Now.. here are the details. The reception before Pledge is from 6:30 pm to 7:00. Pledge starts exactly at 7 o'clock sharp. It's a tradition. Just don't be late, okay?"

"Okay.", Jace said.

From 7:30 to 8, we have our first meeting. You'll receive your room keys, schedules and rules for the house. Afterwards, we change and party hard. Got it?"

"Got it."

"Good. See you then.", Ross quickly added.

Jace left his bedroom and stepped downstairs to see his mother in the kitchen. Tears streamed down her reddened cheeks.

He comforted her, wrapping his arms around her midsection and embracing her in a warm hug. "Grandpa is d-dead. He's dead, Jace. He's dead. He's dead. He's gone..", Mrs. Norman shook as she teared up and squeezed onto her son for support. He caressed her wide back and cringed at the announcement of his death. His mother never said those words before. Ever. It was all too real.

"Mom, it's going to be okay.", Jace coaxed.