12. outwitted

Gillian waited for the limber shadow to sneak out the window and slide down the roof recklessly to jump to the lawn

Gillian waited for the limber shadow to sneak out the window and slide down the roof recklessly to jump to the lawn. The boy got to his feet and glanced down at both sides of the street. Then he pulled a bike from under a bush, jumped on it and pedaled away.

Gillian started her car and followed him.

"The girl is carrying a backpack," said Hank.

The others agreed: the four kids were heading to the school on their bikes, carrying backpacks.

"Lads, let's catch them and search those packs. But let's do it quietly, we don't wanna wake up half the city over this," Gillian said, keeping a hundred yards between her and the boy she was tailing. "And let's do this at the same time."

"That's the way, uh-huh, uh-huh," hummed Hank.

Gillian swallowed a chuckle. "Ready?"

"Hell yeah," replied Aldana.

"Let's roll," said Ron.

The four of them turned on only the police lights, not the sirens, and speeded up. The kids looked over their shoulders, spotted them and tried to get away. The boy Aldana tailed even abandoned his bike and tried to jump a fence into a dark lawn. But she got out of her car, caught up with him and pulled him down to the sidewalk. In a couple of minutes they all had their kids and they were searching their backpacks.

"A lunch box?" grunted Ron, and he handed it to the boy. "Open it, kiddo. I wanna see what's in there."

"A sandwich and a yogurt," muttered Aldana, trying to hide her confusion.

Gillian kept her firm grasp on the boy's shoulder and called over the radio, "Fred! Heads up! Ben Tindermann must be on his way there!"

She noticed the boy's jolt and tugged at him to take him to her car, cursing under her breath. Damn kids! They'd played them like frigging rookies!

"C'mon, Frankie, I'm taking you home," she snarled, thinking two blocks would be enough to put the fear of God in the twisted brat. "Your parents and I have some things to talk about. And you have some stuff in your phone I think they're gonna be so happy to see, aren't they."

The boy cringed as she yanked the backseat door open for him.