Rivendell

While Devin kept guard over the now breathing but still unconscious Frodo the others began to carefully cross the now receded river to join them. First came Arwen, who was anxious to check him for herself.

"Although I do not know how you were able to accomplish such a feat, you have appear to have saved Frodo's life for the moment," she said while Aragorn helped Kitty and the hobbits across. "But he is fading. He is not going to last. We must get him to my father." Arwen looked up from the hobbit to Devin with the same clinical stare she had just been using while diagnosing Frodo. "What about you? How are you feeling? I do not know what you did, but touching your lips to his so soon after he was hit by the Black Breath was very dangerous. Some of it may have transferred unto you."

Devin's eyes widened slightly in surprise. She hadn't even thought of that. Once she heard that Frodo needed CPR, her training had kicked in, and she hadn't thought of anything but saving the poor hobbit. "Well, I feel a bit woozy—dizzy, I mean—and cold..." she admitted slowly. "But I'm pretty sure that has more to do with the fact I just swam across a cold river right before performing CPR. Honestly, I feel fine aside from needing a change of dry clothes."

"Then you have been very fortunate," said Arwen, though she still looked concerned and felt puzzled. How could a human have performed such a miracle, especially without the aid of magic? She had sensed none coming from the mortal girl.

"Mr. Frodo! How is he? What happened?" asked Sam urgently, rushing over to them, dropping to his knees beside his friend and master.

"Lady Devin has managed to help him breathe again, but his life remains endangered by his wound," Arwen answered as Merry, Pippin, Kitty, and Aragorn came over to join them as well.

"What if someone rode ahead with him?" Kitty asked.

"I will take him to my father on Asfaloth," said Arwen, preparing to readjust the stirrups.

"The Riders may have been swept away for now, but we do not know how soon they may be able to regroup," Aragorn said. "Stay with the others. I will take him, and I will send horses for you upon reaching Rivendell."

"I am the faster rider," argued Arwen. "I will take him."

"Just let her take him, Strider," Kitty said. " 'Cause she obviously isn't gonna let you win this one."

"The Riders should be scattered and formless for weeks at the least," Devin added. "The more time we waste arguing, the less time Lord Elrond will have to heal Frodo before he becomes a wraith."

Aragorn still seemed reluctant, but he nodded in agreement and allowed Arwen to mount her white elf-horse and speed Frodo away to her father.

"So... guess this means more walking for us, huh?" said Kitty as they watched them ride off and disappear off into the distance with incredible speed. Sam, Merry, and Pippin were far too worried for Frodo to care.

"Don't worry," Devin told the anxious hobbits. "He'll be all right. You'll see."

Devin shivered as she pulled the blanket she had wrapped around herself tighter. Since all she had was the clothes on her back, the poor girl really had no choice but to trudge along in her wet clothes. The blanket had helped keep her warm for a while, but now that it was beginning to dampen, too, after absorbing some of the water from her clothing. She really hoped she wouldn't end up catching a cold. She sneezed.

"Dude. You okay?" Kitty asked, concerned.

"Yeah. I'll live," Devin replied glumly, sniffling. "Cross your fingers that I don't get hypothermia out here."

"Hypothermia?" asked Pippin.

"It's a condition in which the body's core temperature drops below that required for normal metabolism and body functions," Devin explained.