The Pass of Caradhras

Nothing further happened that night. The next morning dawned even brighter than before. But the air was chill again; already the wind was turning back towards the east. For two more nights they marched on, climbing steadily but ever more slowly as their road wound up into the hills, and the mountains towered up, nearer and nearer. On the third morning Caradhras rose before them, a mighty peak, tipped with snow like silver, but with sheer naked sides, dull red as if stained with blood.

There was a black look in the sky, and the sun was wan. The wind had gone now round to the north-east. Gandalf sniffed the air and looked back.

"Winter deepens behind us," he said quietly to Aragorn. "The heights away north are whiter than they were; snow is lying far down their shoulders. Tonight we shall be on our way high up towards the Redhorn Gate. We may well be seen by watchers on that narrow path, and waylaid by some evil; but the weather may prove a more deadly enemy than any. What do you think of your course now, Aragorn?"

Devin overheard these words, and understood that Gandalf and Aragorn were continuing some debate that had begun long before. She listened anxiously, for the knowledge of what was yet to come weighed far too heavily on her conscience to allow her rest.

"I think no good of our course from beginning to end, as you know well, Gandalf," answered Aragorn. "And perils known and unknown will grow as we go on. But we must go on; and it is no good our delaying the passage of the mountains. Further south there are no passes, till one comes to the Gap of Rohan. I do not trust that way since your news of Saruman. Who knows which side now the marshals of the Horse-lords serve?"

"Who knows indeed!" said Gandalf. Devin knew. She knew their king was under Saruman's control, and thought it was too big a risk to take while Gandalf was still Grey. She believed he would need the power of a White Wizard to cast him out, and until then the risk of capture was too great. "But there is another way," he said, "and not by the pass of Caradhras: the dark and secret way that we have spoken of."

"But let us not speak of it again!" said Aragorn. "Not yet. Say nothing to the others, I beg, not until it is plain that there is no other way."

"We must decide before we go further," answered Gandalf.

"Then let us weigh the matter in our minds, while the others rest and sleep," said Aragorn.

Devin remained silent for a moment after their conversation ended; but then she set her jaw with determination and quietly pushed herself up and moved closer to them, feeling the time had come to speak. It was now or never. "May I have a word?" she asked Gandalf in a low voice, trying to be discrete. "A certain matter has been weighing heavily on my mind for some time now, and it concerns you greatly. I have long debated with myself over the matter, and can no longer hold back; I must speak with you, before it is too late."

Her words surprised the Wizard, and both he and the Ranger were concerned by the torn and troubled look in her eyes. Whatever the matter was, it disturbed her greatly. Gandalf nodded and took her aside to hear what she had to say.

"I must agree with Aragorn," Devin continued earnestly, keeping to an urgent whisper. "We cannot trust the way through Gap of Rohan so long as we accompany the Ring, but I would sooner risk frostbite than enter the mines. I do not know whether or not I should be telling you this, but I could never forgive myself if I simply stood by and did nothing, and knowingly let a friend march to their death. The dwarves delved too greedily and too deep. In the darkness of Moria, they awakened shadow and flame. It is not of the Ring, nor of the rest of us that I am thinking now, but of you, Gandalf. I fear for your life. I do not wish to pass through the mines," she finished grimly. Even a blind man could see how much speaking of this matter pained her. It was as if she were already mourning his loss.