The Bridge of Khazad-dûm

The Company of the Ring stood silent beside the tomb of Balin. Devin thought of her father and how The Hobbit had been one of his favorite books to read to her as a bedtime story when she was younger, and how much she had loved it too. In that dusty chamber in the mountains that was an entire world away it felt more like a thousand years ago.

"I'm sorry," she said somberly, placing a hand on Gimli's shoulder, as Gandalf leaned down to pick up a the remains of an old book that was still in the clutches of one of the skeletons that they could now see were lying by the door they had just come through and against the smaller one on the other side of the chamber. "We cannot linger here."

Hearing her ominous words, Gandalf quickly skipped towards the end of the tattered and damaged record of the fortunes of Balin's folk to see what had become of the rest of the Dwarves in Balin's Company, though they could all take a fair guess after seeing the abandoned orc weapons that still lay scattered about the room. "They have taken the bridge and the second hall... the pool is up to the wall at Westgate... the Watcher in the Water took Óin," Gandalf read aloud. "We have barred the gates... but cannot hold them for long. The ground shakes. Drums... drums in the deep. We cannot get out. A shadow moves in the dark. We cannot get out. They are coming. There is nothing more." The wizard paused and stood in silent thought.

A sudden dread and a horror of the chamber fell on the Company. Devin's heart clenched at the thought of how terribly these beloved characters of her childhood must have suffered in their final hours; a pain made all the sharper after seeing how very real this world could be.

"We cannot get out," muttered Gimli. "It was well for us that the pool had sunk a little, and that the Watcher was sleeping down at the southern end."

Gandalf raised his head and looked around. "They seem to have made a last stand by both doors," he said; "but there were not many left by that time."

"Yes, and now we must quickly leave this place before the same happens to us," said Devin gravely.

She had hardly spoken these words, when there came a great noise: a rolling Boom that seemed to come from the depths far below, and to tremble in the stone at their feet. Her eyes widened. It was too soon! They sprang towards the door in alarm. Doom, doom it rolled again, as if huge hands were turning the very caverns of Moria into a vast drum. Then there came an echoing blast: a great horn was blown in the hall, and answering horns and harsh cries were heard further off. There was a hurrying sound of many feet.

"They are coming!" cried Legolas.

"We cannot get out," said Gimli.

"Damn it!" said Kitty.

"Trapped!" cried Gandalf. "Why did I delay? Here we are, caught, just as they were before. But I was not here then. We will see what—"

Doom, doom came the drum-beat and the walls shook.

"Slam the doors and wedge them!" shouted Aragorn. "And keep your packs on as long as you can: we may get a chance to cut our way out yet."

"No!" said Devin. "We must not get shut in!"

"Keep the east door ajar!" said Gandalf. "We will go that way, if we get a chance."

Another harsh horn-call and shrill cries rang out. Feet were coming down the corridor. There was a ring and clatter as the Company drew their weapons. Glamdring shone with a pale light, and Sting glinted at the edges. Boromir set his shoulder against the western door.

"Wait a moment! Do not close it yet!" said Gandalf. He sprang forward to Boromir's side and drew himself up to his full height. "Who comes hither to disturb the rest of Balin Lord of Moria?" he cried in a loud voice. There was a rush of hoarse laughter, like the fall of sliding stones into a pit; amid the clamor a deep voice was raised in command. Doom, boom, doom went the drums in the deep.