One.

School had not been so great for Leah today. The morning classes were okay – it was Math and English – she was good at those, but after lunch they had been using papier-mâché and clay to build a 3D map of Ancient Egypt as part of a group project when Ryan, one of her classmates, had a thrown a football at a classmates head in a moment of anger - he wanted to put the Great Sphinx in the South of Egypt when really it belongs in the North.

"It's going there" he demanded throwing the gold painted lump of clay onto the map. Leah simply sighed before trying to explain to him that the map was to be as factually accurate as possible. Ryan was no fan of this began to sniffle as his eyes watered. "but I want the lion to go there." Leah didn't know what else to do so instead picked up the hardened clay (that fairly resembled the Great Sphinx) and placed it in its true location.

Ryan couldn't hold it in any longer and the football went straight into the back of Augie's head, knocking off his glasses and both the boys were in tears. Their teacher tried very hard to salvage what was left of that Friday afternoon but after recovering from the subsequent decent into chaos and multiple trips to the nurse's office, class was dismissed for the day.

"Go home, enjoy spring break!" Miss Lyons called out smiling, as the mass of ten and eleven year olds all rushed for the exit, all desperate for a taste of the freedom that lie ahead of them for the next week.

Leah slowly gathered up her belongings, not wanting to get caught up in the rush. Her teacher looked up and smiled as she walked away. She'd always had a soft spot for the girl – not at all because she felt sorry for her, it wasn't that...it was on a more profound level. Leah seemed different from all the other students she'd taught over the years. She was kind and caring to everyone, the ideal student - deep and thoughtful, and even when her classmates picked on her, she dismissed it as part of her life; never once had the young teacher of thirty-two seen her retaliate.

Leah decided to not take the bus home today. If you asked her, she wouldn't be able to tell you why, other than she had an urge to do so. And so she was half an hour in to her walk home on this Friday afternoon, humming to herself whatever song happened to have popped in to her head at that moment. She didn't have to much further to walk now – she was already in the centre of National City and she was nearly halfway home. Home...It wasn't really her home, not her real one at least, just temporary. That's what they said in the beginning 'It's only for a little while until someone wants you to become part of their family and you go and live with them like they are your parents'. Maybe they thought her five-year-old self wouldn't be able to handle the fact that she would probably be staying there until she was eighteen, I mean, when people come and adopt a child, they always go for the babies. Babies are cute, babies are adorable – they make funny noises and do silly things. Most of the time they don't even know their parents, maybe they never will. She wasn't one to complain though.

Leah didn't mind Stellar Brooke's – National City's own home for orphans. She was the only one to have her own personal bedroom. Perks of being the oldest Leah would shrug. It may be a small corner of the attic to you, but for Leah, it was the greatest gift she'd ever received. It was usual for Leah to contemplate her life like this, absent-mindedly walking through the city, and what it could have been like...but no. This was her life, like it or not.

Suddenly Leah was snapped out of her wandering thoughts as someone walked square in to her. Instantly she recognized the face; a face she'd seen many times on TV, not only that, everyone talked about her. Lena Luthor. She was dressed in a scarlet cocktail dress and her raven brown hair was loosely curled and fell gently resting on her chest.

"I'm so incredibly sorry" stammered the Luthor, "Gosh, where was my mind – you see I have a lot of deadlines to meet and I was just heading back to L-Corp to go though some paperwork before this meeting I have with the board and I'm, I'm sorry, wow I've been so rude, please forgive my manners" she rambled, I'm Lena, what's your name?" she asked, genuinely concerned for the child in front of her.