Chapter Two

Alex found himself wondering how he couldn't be dead. He knew he should have been. After all, the fight he had fought made him use everything he was.

He instead found himself lying in a room filled with water. He quickly held his breath knowing that if he were to breathe in now, he would most likely drown. Yet it never occurred to him that in his unconscious state, he was breathing normally.

The water seemed endless and lit from a source he could not determine. He struggled to find the surface of the water but his constant swimming yielded no results.

He suddenly felt the urge to breathe causing him to take in a deep breath. Water flooded his mouth and in turn his lungs.

Instead of the burning sensation he thought he would feel, he instead found himself at ease. As if he could breathe under this vast amount of water.

He came to terms with his new finding as his mind finally grasped that he needed to breathe. Since he became the God King, he didn't have to. Meredith either. But now he needed to.

His mind drifted at the thought of his Mate as his memories of her came flooding forward. He quickly pushed them from his mind as he let his gaze wonder over the vastness before him.

Suddenly a bright pure white glow erupted before him. With a soft golden glow surrounding it, giving it an appearance of great knowledge and even more power. As if a higher being.

"Alex McCarthy." A deep voice erupted within his own mind causing him to glance around quickly. Finding no one near him he assumed that it may have been the sphere who spoke. "You have fallen victim to the curse that accompanies Granary Vanar's death."

"What curse?" Alex quickly shouted out as he heard what the sphere had to say.

"It is one of the most ancient of curses and one of the very first created." The sphere said in monotone making Alex think that it didn't care if it was here or not. "A curse that is two fold and a curse to bring pain to those that it is inflicted upon."

"What curse?" Alex again shouted at the sphere.

"You are to be sent back in time to a moment that defined your life." The sphere began to detail the curse that would inflict Alex. "The curse will then take on a meaning of its own ensuring the most pain inflicted. It is a fixed curse as it cannot make alterations further down the line." The sphere paused slightly before it seemed to decide to continue its explanation.

"It is a curse designed for immense pain, both physically and mentally." The sphere added before it was interrupted by Alex.

"That seems to be one side. What is the second?" Alex asked hoping it couldn't get any worse than this. First he had lost Meredith and now he is supposedly cursed.

"Knowing that you can't do anything to stop it." The sphere said once more in monotone. "No one in the history of the universe has found the cure to this curse and it is highly unlikely you ever will." The sphere said as it began to flicker with a soft red glow.

"You can change some parts of your future, but remember the curse will still be in effect. So no matter what you change, pain will follow."

Alex couldn't understand what why this was happening to him. After all that he has done, all that he has lost. Why did this now have to happen? His thoughts raced through ideas of what his curse might be.

What if Meredith never existed?

What if she was never his Mate?

What if he never knew love?

Many thoughts like this raced through his mind, inevitably coming back to the ideas of his Beloved Mate.

Suddenly his body was shot backwards as if being pulled by a strong thin piece of wire or rope. The sudden movement causing both his vision to blur as well as a slight headache to appear. He tried to see where this mysterious force was taking him but he couldn't figure it out.