15th Call

It has been three days since Clare saw and talked to Jake. And since then she hadn't heard from him. The weekend came and went. But that was probably only because she spent it in tears with a tub of popcorn and root beer watching crappy television. Terry was there for her when the kind police officer escorted her back to her dorm. He made sure she got back safely, and that Terry was waiting for her so her friend would help her back to their room. If it was any other time, Clare would've hated being handled as if she was something that would break in an instant, but at that time she was. She needed her best friend to meet her at the parking lot. To wrap a blanket around her shoulders and pull her in for hug. She needed Terry to be there with her every step she took to get to their room.

The police officer, whose name was Greg Walters, checked in with her the next day, and it made her feel a bit better that a complete stranger would care so much about her well being.

By the time Monday rolled in, Clare had managed to steel herself against the unpleasant memories of Jake, and she was back to being her studious self. However, that afternoon after class as she sat at her desk working on a paper, her phone rang with the familiar sound of gnash's i hate u, i love u. Her heart thudded against her chest like a jackhammer as her emotions went haywire. She was well aware that she was just sitting there, frozen as she stared at the device, Jake's name flashing across the screen.

One half of her wanted to pick up the phone and cuss him out in all the languages she knew (which was only English, the Tagalog cuss words he taught her, and her limited knowledge of Latin). The other half wanted to pick up the phone and listen to what he has to say; and then cuss him out.

Was he calling to apologize? Or did he officially wanted to end things? The thought made her already broken heart shatter to even tinier pieces.

The call went into voice mail.

She waited a few minutes, before reaching for her phone. She slowly unlocked the screen and pressed the voice mail icon. With shaking hands, she brought it up to her ear and listened.

"Hey, Clare. Before anything else, I want to say I hope you got back safely...so uh, yeah. Anyways, um...I was jerk; a huge dick to you the other day, and I apologize for that. I really want to go into detail why I acted the way I did but...I would rather tell you that in person...a burial for Pete is happing this Saturday and I was hoping you could come and maybe talk to you after that...so, call or text me when you feel like it, I'll leave you alone now. Bye."

Clare swiped at the tears that had spilt down her cheeks, sniffing before taking a deep, calming breath. She didn't move for about a second or so, then she searched through her contacts for a number. As she waited for the person to answer she thought of everything she needed to do.

"Hey, dad. I need to talk to you and mom about something."

Her mind was made.

***

Please don't hate me, Nish. I'm already working on the next chapter!

See y'all there!!

* * *

ATTENTION: If you are reading this story on any other platform other than Wattpad you are very likely to be at risk of a malware attack. If you wish to read this story in it's original, safe, form, please go to https://www.wattpad.com/user/awkward_tumbleweed

Thank you.