Sideshow #42

Silk was definitely confused. Very so. He felt as if he was drifting through space and watching himself from an awkward angle- above the head, slightly behind. It was the worst and the hardest position for an artist to draw.

He saw himself leaning against the door frame of the dark and square drawing room, greeting Lucas.

"Hello today." The himself standing said casually. Lucas looked up and nodded, "Hi."

"So, do you have any plans today?" He asked.

Silk felt weird. That person down there who talked and walked and smiled and moved like him wasn't him, at all. But he sort of was, in a strange way. He tried to yell, and no sound came out. The guy down there looked up eerily and grinned. Lucas took no notice.

Something is wrong.

Just then Twig approached the guy from behind, "Hey, Silk." His hands reached where Silk wanted him to, despite the fact that he was floating. The guy flinched.

Twig, please, if you feel that that is not me, look up.

The faerie's expression was confused, but he kept his mouth shut. For the first time of his life (that's saying a lot, isn't it?) Silk wanted to say that being created a coward by the time was not the best way to face everything. Or anything.

"No, you can make out with your boyfriend." Lucas said without looking up, an apple in his hand without the newspaper, "I'll go check some streets out."

"I want to come with you." The guy said too quickly. Twig squinted.

Please, please. Read his mind. Rescue me, love! Silk was screaming his head off in his mind, but it didn't seem to work. So far.

Until now.

Twig reached his back with incredible speed and caught the guy's throat with his faerie blade, pushed him against the door frame, "Who are you?"

When the guy didn't answer but only grinned, Twig lifted him off the ground so that only his toes touched the floor. He coughed.

"Aloe." He struggled and said with difficulty. Twig was so surprised he dropped the guy onto the floor. Lucas just had time to notice that the guy he was seeing had a tanned skin tone before he pressed Twig against the wall.

The werewolf took the natural response from his body: freeze until it's over.

"He locked me in there for so long." Aloe hissed in an unbelievably old voice, like an old man being kept alive for a few hundred years.

He did get kept alive for a few hundred years, Silk realised, but I didn't lock him. I thought he died. Or maybe I was him.

Twig's expression was more troubled than fear, "He ought to be or he will die."

"I hate you for killing me. You, yes. Exactly you, and only you." Aloe hissed again, his eyes flickering different colours in an unnatural (even to faeries, that is) way.

Lucas stayed frozen. His wolf reflexes kicked in and he was now a wolf sitting on a couch holding an apple and a stack of newspaper in its front paws. Silk would have laughed so hard with blood out from his nose if it wasn't an emergency.

Twig snapped. Literally.

He turned into a juniper tree (because they smell good in his own words, because they are sexy in Silk's words) and snapped all its twigs in half. The soft-in-small-number-but-sharp-with-a-pile leaves fell onto Aloe and made him gasp.

Twig turned back. His hair was messy and his knife was pointing at Aloe's throat.

"Die or I'll kill you." His voice was trembling.

Lucas stared.

Aloe laughed softly in a so Silk-like way and smiled, "You know you won't. I am bound to him. But you defeated me alright- I'll come up some years later when I gain my strength enough."

With that Silk's spirit was sucked into his own body again, like the way vacuum cleaners suck in the dust on the floor. He felt real and he could talk.

"I love you." He doubled over and huddled himself up and laid on his side on the twig-covered floor.

Lucas unfroze, "And I guess I should clean this mess up."

"You'd better." Twig lifted the vampire up bridal style and said in a silky (lower-case) voice, "C'mon. He will come back in a hundred years and I'll be there for you. That's enough for one day."

"Or maybe it isn't." His eyes were glittering, his expression dreamy.

Twig laughed and kissed his cheek, "I can see that your energy is already returning."

Lucas was bending to pick up all the leaves and twigs when he yelled, "Make it quiet!"

"Hardly." The lover boys said in unison and chuckled, closed and locked the basement door behind them.