Chapter 14

"Honey," I hear a soft voice. I lift my head off my pillow and glare at my mom. She is holding my wedding gown in her hands. One she realizes that she has my attention, she says, "Mae, you need to get up and get ready for your wedding."

"Okay," I gloomily reply. 

She places my dress down on a chair and walks over to my bed. She sits down and she rubs my leg as she softly asks, "are you sure you want to get married today?"

"I owe Marc Diadem and getting married is his payment," I mumble into my pillow- not caring if my mom even heard what I said. 

My mom clears her throat and corrects herself, "I mean, are you okay? I know how much Derek meant to you."

I aruptly sit up and snap, "You have no idea what he meant to me! He was my best friend! I loved him!" 

She sighs and nods, "I know."

I begin to sob into her shoulder and collapse. I didn't dare to find out what had actually happened to Derek. I already knew that it was my fault. If only I married Ron sooner. I blame myself for his death. I won't ever be able to forgive myself. I feel myself getting dizzier and dizzier.

"Mae, time to get ready now. Ron will be meeting you at the alter. Okay?"

"Okay." I mumble. 

"Mom?"

"Yes?"

"I love you."

"I love you too," she replies and leaves me to my wedding dress. I fumble with the zipper and slip into my wedding dress. The top part of the dress is lace whereas the bottom half is more of a silk texture. All in all- it's the standard white wedding dress. I didn't want to have the dress tight on my curves. I want to feel like a princess on my wedding day. 

I walk out of my room and my mom helps me with the rest. She helps put on my other accessories. I look at myself in the mirror and take a deep breath. 

No one else will get hurt.