9. The Date

"hey Melanie?" I looked up from my laptop to see Hayley standing in my door way.
I hadn't spoken to her since I made her and Miss Rose lunch two days ago.
"Hey,  what's up?" I took out my earphones and watched the stunning woman in my view.
"I was wondering if you'd like to join me for brunch? I had Marge make us a picnic and there's a beautiful Park not far from here. It's such a beautiful day and you need a break from studying" I wondered if it were such a good idea. I know Miss Rose didn't want me around her but I really did need a break.
"Alright I'm up for it" Hayley linked arms with me and we made our way to her car.
"After you lovely" She opened the door for me and hoped in the driver's seat.
She took the top down and let the wind hit us and we drove enjoying the view. I turned to see her smiling at me
"what?" I laughed as she turned her attention back to the road.
"You just look really pretty" I felt myself blush and leaned my back against the seat letting out a content sigh.
We drove past lush green fields with cows and horses roaming around and I couldn't help but wonder what it'd be like to just feel run free in a field,  letting go of all worries.
Hayley pulled onto a dirt road and slowed down before parking under a big oak tree.
I watched her pull her sunglasses off and apply a quick coat of lip gloss before effortlessly stepping out the car and picking up the basket.
"well what are you waiting for babe?" she sent me a big smile and I followed her lead.
Hayley held my hand as we walked along a stone path. It was calming to be in her presence she wasn't just the flirt I first knew her as but she was also gentle and kind.
"We're almost there" She said. we walked up stairs made out of stone and I could hear the sound of water running.
We turned a corner and the most beautiful waterfall came into sight
"It's so beautiful" I was stunned and Hayley led me to clearing where we sat and opened the basket.
"Thank you for asking me to come" I said eating a handful of berries.
"Thank you for joining me. I'd really like to get to know you Melanie Rice. What are your dreams, goals,  ambitions?"
It felt safe to open up to her and I don't trust people often.
"As you know I study law and I would like to represent children it's something I feel so deeply for" I admitted.
"May I ask why?" she asked curiously
"There's an organisation All about the children I don't know if you're familiar with their work but they provide education,  shelter,  therapy and other resources to abused and neglected children. When I was 10 I was sexually abused and the man got away with it. I want to make sure that doesn't happen to more children and representing children for this organisation would mean the world to me"
She looked at me with sympathy but also admiration
"You're such a strong girl Melanie I admire that about you." we continued to talk about family, movies,  music and future plans time went so fast that we didn't realise 3 hours had passed.
"This is has been so lovely Hayley but I have to get back and study for an exam"
We drove back to the house just enjoying the comfortable silence and when we got back she held my hand as we walked inside. I felt cared for.

"Melanie, Hayley?" Miss Rose took her glasses off and stared at us in shock as we walked in hand in hand. I suddenly dropped my hand and stepped away.
"W-we were just h-having" I stumbled over my words unable to finish my sentence. I wanted more than anything to please Miss Rose.
"Relax I was just taking Melanie on a picnic date she needed to get out of her office. You've had her working so much and she's been studying non stop" I stayed quiet and watched as Miss Rose said nothing but turned and walked up stairs.
"Don't mind her beautiful. I have to go now I have an important meeting soon" Hayley kissed my cheek and left.
I sighed making my way upstairs back to studying I suppose.

I was 33 pages into a law book when I remembered MARIA'S BIRTHDAY.  I pulled out my date book "Omg it's tomorrow" I whispered to myself. I looked at the time and I had 2 hours until the shops closed I rushed out the house and into my car. What could I get her? I wanted to make her happy but this woman had everything. I decided to try a second hand store in the hopes of finding something extraordinary and perhaps one of a kind. It may not be expensive but hopefully meaningful. The store smelt of dust and lavender but it was still pleasant despite my dislike of both these things. I passed shelves of ornaments, books and glassware when I suddenly stopped in my tracks. It was perfect.
I remember seeing her collection of Brontë books in a special cabinet in her library she seemed very fond of them and so was I.