Of Interludes and In-Betweens Pt. 1

Chapter 7: Of Interludes and In-Betweens (Pt. 1)

Lily carefully hold Harry in her arms as the moving truck drive towards her new home. James is nervously shifting in his seat, obviously uncomfortable in the vehicle he hardly has experience in, barring the Knight Bus (which is an experience that Lily never want to repeat ever again). Honestly, how could someone who obviously rode that bus for 10 years be afraid of a vehicle moving at constant speed?

Chris is snoring lightly, head burrowed in his father's shoulder. A trail of drool is evident in James' shirt, Lily noticed in amusement. Harry, on the other hand, is fascinated with the view outside.

One week had passed after that night. James and Albus wasted no time preparing for their new home. James bought a house in a town two-hours drive away from London, and today is moving day.

Honestly, Lily is still on edge. The confirmation of Voldemort's demise just five days ago, while celebrated, still bought many questions. The people, especially the Daily Prophet's up-and-coming sensationalist reporter Rita Skeeter, is hounding them for answers. Do not ask her how, but apparently the news of their involvement had leaked and the Potter family is now hailed as saviors. Thank Merlin, Morgana, and Mordred they managed to escape before the Wizarding Britain community finds them.

Their new home is now protected by the best wards money can buy, including the ever-brilliant ward that prevent people with ill intentions, be it mundane or magical-beings. Thank Merlin for goblin magic. She and James are not taking any chances and Lily makes a mental note to invite Sirius and Remus as soon as they got settled. Their nerves are quite frayed with the events of All Hollow's Eve, and in the past week, they were being extremely overprotective of them, especially their godsons.

(James has joked that he had seen several gray hairs on Sirius and more stress lines has been appearing in Remus' face. Sirius proceeded to hex James' hair an obnoxious shade of pink and, to the relief of many, the remaining Marauders has decided on a three-way prank war and start to lose those shadows lurking under their eyes.

Not by much... but still, progress.)

The declining speed jolt Lily out of her wandering mind, and she lay her gaze to her new home. It's a lovely two-story house with a modest garden and back yard. The walls are painted in shades of grey and blue, the bushes are sprinkled lightly with snow, and the wards feel protective, warm, and welcoming as she and Harry climb down the truck. James gingerly follow the suit, shifting Chris as he slowly stirred against his father's chest.

His eyes turn to her, "What do you think?"

Lily breathe in and closes her eyes, letting her head rest in his shoulder. The now awake Chris is taking in the new sight in front of him with excited babbles, and the comforting weight of Harry in her arms loosen the tense muscles she didn't realize having.

"It's perfect."

.

James is struggling with Chris as he changed the baby's diaper. Harry watch in amusement as James cursed and flailed as the stink of Chris waste gets worse. Grumbling, James grabbed his wand and muttered the Bubble-Head charm. Then he pouted when he catch Lily's gaze glittering in amusement.

"I told you." said Lily smugly.

James pouted harder. Lily chuckled as she waved her wand in a practiced motion. The diaper and baby powder moved as if held with invisible hands, and in ten seconds, the diaper is changed without any more casualties. The dirty diaper is disposed of, and the rubbish bin burped.

.

Having a baby is hard. Having a baby who could walk is harder.

Lily wanted to strangle James for carelessly leaving the Invisibility Cloak a baby with curious minds could get his hands on. Now, she's stuck chasing an disembodied giggling baby around the house.