Ch. 7: A Reluctant Alliance - Courtney

"Tanner? Tanner! Where are you?"

When I realized Olivia wasn't behind me following anymore, sheer terror set in. Nothing made sense. She was right there behind me and now she was gone. My first line of defense and my best friend disappeared and I had no idea where she was.

"Come out, please!"

Suddenly, I felt dizzy. It was harder to breathe. It was harder to think. It was harder to do anything really. The bar seemed to heighten in volume and I couldn't concentrate. I had to get out of there.

"I need you to come out! This is an order!" My voice cracked. I was surrounded by deadly silence. My heart pounded in my throat as I ran between trees and out into the open again in a desperate search to find my guard. But it was like he vanished. Just like Olivia.

Always be aware of your surroundings, always know who you are talking to, and always remember who you are. You are Royalty, heir to the throne of Hsoms and future leader of our Kingdom. You are important, but you are also vulnerable. My father seemed to mockingly say in my mind.  

If only I hadn't gone out. If only I haven't chased after that dumb thief into the forest for my key. If only. If only. If only.

Then, I saw it. On a tree, nearby where I last saw Tanner standing. And I have never felt so sick so quickly in my entire life.

It was a crudely rushed sun. A Blazing Sun.

They were back.

Time seemed to slow down as I froze in terror at the sight of the notorious killer: the one who killed my siblings. My heart stopped. I couldn't breathe.

Now it seemed they were after me.

All of a sudden, a hand grabbed me. In an instant, alarm set off in my mind as I screamed.

My hair stood on end as my wrist grew unbearably hot. I snatched away from the grip and whizzed around only to face a dark figure with broad shoulders, silhouetted by the moon. Only fear and anxiety seemed to control me as I tried to scramble away from it.

"Leave me alone! Please!" 

I didn't want to die! Not now, not yet! My pulse quickened as I tried running towards the forest, hoping that it would give me some camouflage there. But, when I stole a glance back, I only saw the figure gaining on me. I may have been faster than my little brother, but the Sun was faster. Much faster.

I whipped my head back to the front again. Gotta stay focused! I willed all my energy into my legs, adrenaline pumping, as it swiftly carried me to the forest. 

But, it seemed I wasn't fast enough. 

Just as my foot stepped into the thick brush of greenery, I felt arms wrap themselves around me. Big, muscular, scary arms. I lost it. 

The walls were closing in, and air seemed thin. I thrashed in his hold, but he held tight. I couldn't stay in there. I kept on going, adrenaline keeping me moving. I smacked him, stomped on his feet, and yelled bloody murder. If I was going to die, then at least I would die fighting. "Let me go!"

But he was like an unmoving rock. He held still, he was stable, only helping my worst nightmare slowly morph into a reality.

I was going to die. 

I didn't even get to say goodbye.

Then, a hand clapped itself over my mouth. "Shut up! It's okay! You're okay! I'm not going to hurt you!"

Almost instantly, I froze. I knew that voice.

"Holy crap, you hit hard! I think you broke my foot or something!"