Ch. 17: A New Traveller - Courtney

"Shayne, maybe you should get a new jacket. Your old one is getting pretty torn up."

"Eh, it'll last. I wouldn't worry too much about it."

"I dunno. It gets really cold at night sometimes. If you don't have something warm to cover up, you could freeze to death."

"I won't freeze to death, Noah."

"It's called a hyperbole."

Inquisitive eyes squinted at the damaged clothes. "You sure you just got it snagged it on a branch when you were running? That tear looks very... deliberate."

"Yes, I'm sure." Shayne rolled his eyes. "Jeez, why would I lie about this?"

A playful grin quirked up on his lips. "Besides, don't you think it could be a new fashion trend?" The other boy laughed in response. "I don't know if they'll pick up fashion trends from an outlaw, but keep trying."

Noah is an interesting character to say the least. He's very nice and seems to be quite understanding of our situation (which I guess isn't saying a whole lot, considering he's sort of used to this kind of lifestyle), but there are times where he has a sharp tongue and his words seem to smack you in the face if he disagrees with you. I guess I'm not really used to that, accustomed to have everyone except my family and Olivia to agree with everything I say. It's especially weird considering how he's a few years younger than me.

The soles of my feet were starting to feel the burn as we walked down the city streets. Shayne and Noah talked about whatever thieves normally talked about as I stayed behind, eyes wandering. I palmed the cloth around my wound, trying to quell the ache, as a small hiss passed my lips. There was a pulsating pain behind it that lasted ever since I got knocked in the side by that passerby. Besides the minor throbs from the searing line in my arm, though, I felt surprisingly good. It was the first time in a while since I've been left to my own thoughts, and for the first time, I didn't feel afraid.

Outside of the castle walls, the sky always looked a brighter blue, and everything just felt more radiant. The grass was a deeper green, the sound of rocks underneath the soles of my feet lighting my eardrums alive... The smell of the fresh air that wasn't stuffed up by ancient thousand year old dust, rich with new life instead of musty old history. I found myself breathing in a deep breath, closing my eyes, and letting everything flutter through my senses in waves. Even the soft breeze hitting my skin were like gentle feathers caressing my arms and playing with my dress, letting the fabric ruffle and dance...

I opened my eyes...

...and nearly jumped out of my skin as I suddenly found my nose only a hair away from Noah's back.

"So... Brianna?" He shoved his hands into his pockets as he shuffled over to my side. Shayne was up ahead. He didn't seem to see my second-long heart attack. Good.

"Yeah?" I mentally high fived myself for keeping a steady voice, and not breathing weirdly like someone who just got socked in the stomach. If I wanted to sound like I could survive whatever tough situations he's been through, then not sounding afraid of things is a good first step. Now let's pray to god that he doesn't ask about anything about royalty...

"How are things between you and Shayne?" His voice was youthful, innocent, yet inquisitive. A warm smile graced his face. I instantly relaxed, and shrugged.

"Things are cool, I guess? He's a nice guy." I returned his smile, hoping it was just as warm as his.

"Okay, good. The last time I saw the two of you together, you looked like you were going to murder him," he laughed, almost like he was going to wipe some tears, slap his knee, and sigh out, "good times...". But he didn't.