8. The Cannon Fires

I open my eyes again, and for the first couple of seconds, everything is good. Even though it is still dark, Peeta's arms are surrounding me, and I feel comfortable. As I stare into the darkness, some frightening memory comes to my head. I remember Johanna trying to kill me with an axe. Wow, Katniss. Some imagination you have.

But something at the back of my brain tells me that it wasn't just my paranoid imagination. That something must've happened. What was it? I can't quite put my finger on it. Suddenly, I feel a throbbing pain on my head. I roll my eyes. I remember this kind of pain - I must've had a concussion. Just as I try to get up, Peeta moans. I turn to face him, and he cages me with his arm. Like I need to be protected. What's happening?

'Peeta? Peeta?' I gently shake him awake. He opens his eyes, but it doesn't seem like him. His eyes, always so beautiful and lush with long eyelashes, are red. Bloodshot. He looks like he is about to pass out, although I only just woke him up. I stare at him with a worried expression. He stares back at me, before jumping up to stand.

'Katniss! You've woken up!' He caresses my face gently and kisses me. I smile, although this is really weird. Of course I'm awake. What's so special? 'I was so worried,' he says. I can see tears starting to form in his eyes. Without speaking, I wait for him to go on. 'I thought you would never wake up.'

'What?' I ask him. I was just asleep.

He stares back at me, somewhat confused.  'You haven't woken up for two days. Today is... Sunday morning.'

How could this be? Of course I hadn't slept for that long. Or have I? The familiar pain in my head reminds me that it's possible that I had a concussion. I slowly notice the growling in my stomach. The ground that we had been sleeping on. Where's our bed? Why are we sleeping here? Where are we?

'What happened?' I ask Peeta.

He frowns. 'After we came back from the woods, we heard Haymitch listening to our private conversation. Then we barged in and asked why, but he told us stupid lies.'

'Um, okay then.' I break in. Slowly, I recall something. I begin to remember. Was it... really Johanna who tried to kill me? Why? Nothing makes sense at the moment. I try to see what I can remember.

A cannon had fired. A cannon. That's right. After Johanna collapsed, a cannon fired. A cannon, meaning that...

It all comes back to me. We are tributes in the Hunger Games. The Hunger Games, which have already started without my knowledge.

'I remember, Peeta. The cannon,' I whisper.

Peeta nods happily. 'That's right. And then for the past couple of days, we've just been hiding in the woods while the cannons fired. Over and over. Again and again,' he replies. As I search his face for pain, he just looks blank. Lifeless. Like he's given up. He has a different look about him. It's almost... like when they hijacked Peeta in the Capitol. I shake my head, trying to get rid of that thought.

As the Sun begins to come up, I can see that we are high up. I'm sitting in the crook of a tree. I smile at Peeta, and show how proud I am.

'It doesn't make sense though,' Peeta continues. 'Is this the Hunger Games? No interviews, no knowledge beforehand, no sponsors?'

'That was Snow's way of the games. This is Paylor's.' Paylor. President Paylor. I was meant to go to the Capitol and see what has been happening to her.

'Why District 12? This is the arena, right?'

Peeta nods, with a certain degree of uncertainty. 'As far as I know. All I have been thinking about was Rue and Finnick.' In that moment, my brain switches on.