Chapter Three: Dinner

Later that evening, the gang and Professor Pembrooke were all gathered at a large table inside of the dining room, and they were waiting for Shannon.

"Professor, these new pictures of the Loch Ness Monster are amazing." Velma commented, looking at the images the professor had taken.

"I was out on the Loch by myself that day, when all of a sudden, there she was

"I was out on the Loch by myself that day, when all of a sudden, there she was. Right next to my boat." Pembrooke explained to the girl in glasses.

"After the world sees these, everyone will believe in the monster." Velma declared.

"Aye. I wish it were that easy, dear." Pembrooke sighed, and took the photos back from Velma.

"Dinner is served." Shannon announced, walking in with a large silver bowl with a lid on top, and placed it in front of Scooby and Shaggy, whilst Valka and Braedey were on the other side of the table to them. "I've prepared a traditional Scottish dinner for you, so you'd all get a good taste of the Highlands."

"And, like, we're ready to start tasting. Right, Scoob?" Shaggy asked.

"Right." Scooby agreed.

"We'll be starting with haggis. A true Scottish delicacy." Shannon announced, pulling off the lid, and revealing the meal inside.

"Like, what's in it?" Shaggy asked

"Shannon? What exactly is a haggis?" Braedey asked, looking at the odd meal.

"It's just a boiled sheep's stomach... stuffed with diced liver and kidneys." Shannon explained.

Braedey's facial features soon pale away, as the colour drained from his face. He placed a hand slightly over his mouth, as a small amount of sweat accumulated on his forehead. "I think..." He breathed. "I think I'll pass on this one."

"Same here." Valka agreed. "Sorry, Shannon."

Suddenly, a large caber came crashing through one of the stained windows, shattering the window into a million pieces, and it crashed to the ground

"Zoinks!" Shaggy cried. "It's the monster!"

"That's no monster, it's a man." Fred spoke up.

"It's a man?" Braedey asked, as he and Valka were at the very end of the table.

"Dear me. Terribly sorry about that." A thick Scottish voice spoke up, and everyone saw a man standing by the caber and the shattered window. "Still, quite a smashing entrance, don't you think?"

 "Still, quite a smashing entrance, don't you think?"

"Sir Ian, you've arrived. Welcome to Blake Castle." Shannon greeted."

"Yes. Please excuse the window, Shannon, my dear." Sir Ian apologised to the Blake cousin. "I found this caber outside, and I couldn't resist giving it a good toss, for old time's sake." He chuckled.

"No, that'll be fine." Shannon replied lightly, and prepared to introduce the man to the gang. "Everyone, it's my honour to introduce the Head Field Judge for this year's Highland Games."

"Sir Ian Locksley." Velma cut in. "Director of the Scottish Natural History Museum, and author of the book 'Monster my Foot'."

"Velma, do you have a book for every occasion?" Daphne asked.

"Actually, yes." Velma nodded.

"So, let me get this straight." Shaggy spoke up. "You're a museum director and a judge for the games? Now, that's what I call multitasking." He looked to Scooby, who had nodded.

"An honour to meet you, Sir Ian Locksley." Braedey walked up, and shook hands with the Scotsman.

"Aye, such fine manners from such a young man." Sir Ian commented, and Braedey nodded his head to him.

"Sir Ian, according to your book, you believe the Loch Ness Monster is all a bunch of hooey." Velma spoke up.

"Yes. Hooey, nonsense, poppycock and fiddle-faddle." Sir Ian then wrote down his autograph in her book, and handed it back to her. "Now, there you are. You've got your autograph. And I've got an entire weekend free from any further mention of the Loch Ness..." He then stopped, and his expression changed. "Good gravy! What in the blazes are you doing here?!" He demanded.

"Hello, Ian." Professor Pembrooke replied back with a smug face.

"You two know each other?" Fred asked in confusion.

"Ian and I were once colleagues." Pembrooke explained to the gang.

"Colleagues? Hardly." Sir Ian scoffed back. "She was my research assistant."

"Aye, before you had me fired." Pembrooke interjected.

"I was trying to run a museum." Sir Ian fumed. "I can't have one of my staff spending all their time chasing after imaginary monsters."

"She's not imaginary, Ian." Pembrooke snapped back. "We've been through this before."

"This should be an interesting dinner." Velma commented.

"I don't think the two of them will make it past the appetisers." Daphne added.

"Now, see here." Sir Ian fumed.

"Please, both of you, we're all sharing the castle tonight. Let's put our differences aside for now." Shannon stopped them before they have a fight. "Have you seen the field, Sir Ian?"

"Yes, my dear. Brilliant." Sir Ian replied to Shannon, and the two walked off. "Reminds me of the games of '74."

"That man has absolutely no regard for true scientific discovery." Pembrooke snapped, then walked off to her room for the evening.

"Like, the only discovery I'd be interested in is an all-night pizza joint." Shaggy whispered.

"Reah! Rizza joint!" Scooby agreed.

~*~*~

A/N: sorry if this chapter is short. There will be more to come later on.