SIX

I flung the screen door open and smelled my Grandma's freshly cooked baked ziti throughout the house.

     "Here ya go Grandma." I said, placing the bag next to her stove.

     "Thank you, dear. Everyone should be here in an hour. Now, go and help Vicki, and tell your sister to help too. We gotta lot of work to do."

     I ran out of the kitchen and met Vicki struggling outside with her picnic table.

     "Goddamnit you fucking piece of shit no good motherfucking table..." she whispered, loud enough for me to hear across the yard.

     "Vicki, shut it! Grandma could hear you, and you know your ass would be in a whole lotta trouble if she heard you sayin' stuff like that around her!" I warned.

     "Right, sorry. Get over here and help me with this stupid godda- ... table." She said.

     "Where're we moving it?"

     "Across the yard."

We picked up the table from each end and dragged it against the grass.

     "C'mon Alice, it's not that heavy!"

     "Oh shut up, you couldn't move this damn thing either!"

     With a sigh of relief, I dropped my end of the table at the designated spot.

     🌻

I anxiously waited for Dally to arrive. Everyone was already here, but I was eagerly waiting to get this over with.

"You okay there?" My aunt asked nudging my shoulder.

"Yeah, I'm alright." I lied.

"Come on, shoot." She insisted, nudging me again.

"I just don't know what Dally's like anymore. And it's gonna be awkward seeing him again, you know?" I sighed.

"Oh you'll be okay. Sure, he's gotten into trouble and he hangs out with some bad kids, but he really still is that happy kid he was a long time ago. He's just a little troubled, that's all." She looked at me with sympathetic  eyes and gave me a reassuring smile.

"Thanks Aunt Rose."

Vicki swung the back door open, nearly hitting my Grandmother in the back with it.

"ALICE HE'S HERE!" She attempted to whisper, again.

I could feel the blood in my cheeks flow, and my heart skipping multiple beats.

Is he gonna kill me?
What if this is just some plan of his?
Do I still like him?
Am I just crazy?

Still standing in the house, I saw a silhouette through the screen door.

"Vic, is he gonna hurt me?" I asked as I pulled from her grip and backed away from the door.

"No, he's not gonna hurt you. C'mon and stop being ridiculous. He's still really nice."

"Alright. Let's get it over with then..."