THIRTEEN

"Vicki. Vicki wake up." I turned in the bed and shook her.

     "Be quiet." She said, still half asleep.

"Vicki I smell bacon, can we please go downstairs now."

She sat up and violently hit me with her pillow.

"What did you say?" She put her face in her hands.

"I said, I smell bacon."

"Shit, you should've told me that a little louder." She crawled out of my bed and put on her flannel over her tank top.

      I put on Sodapop's flannel, and went downstairs with her.

     "No, wait." I whispered, sitting on the top of the steps.

     "What is it now?"

     "Cade's here, remember?"

     "I thought you sorted things out." She tried to whisper.

     "We did... but still."

     "Allie... did you...?"

     "Did I what?!" I hissed.

     "Did you have sex with him?!"

     "No! No, oh my goodness Vicki! Why is that always what you assume first?! Out of all things?!"

     She obnoxiously laughed, letting the whole house hear her.

     "Just come on, Alice. The bacon is going to be gone by the time we get there."

     She took my hand, and I reluctantly trudged down the steps.

     My family and the Kensington's were setting up the dining room table preparing for breakfast.

     "Good morning, Alice. And good morning, Vicki." Mrs. Kensington said, as she welcomed us into my kitchen.

     "Good morning." We said.

"Good morning, Alice." Cade said, walking into the room with flannel pajama pants on, that he stepped on because they were so large.

"Good morning, Cade." I smiled and tried to act like everything was the same again. Like when we were best friends.

We began to eat breakfast, and the Kensington's were questioning me as much as they could.

"Alice, you have grown up so much. Do you have a boyfriend?" Mrs. Kensington asked.

"Uh, no I do not."

Cade silently mouthed the word "what" from across the table, and became frustrated.

I quickly put my finger over my mouth to tell him to be quiet, to avoid my parents finding out I was dating a greaser.

"Alice and Vicki, I thought it would be nice for you to show Cade around the town a little bit. I was thinking you could take Cade's little brother to the park, too."