TWELVE

He walked over to me and tightly hugged me.

I stood there with my arms by my sides, trying to back out of the uncomfortable hug.

"What are you doing here..." I said as he released me.

"Oh Alice, he travels cross country every summer, remember?"

"Then what is he doing here. In our house." I crossed my arms and my voice cracked.

"We invited him and his family to stay here for a few days since you haven't seen him since we left Eugene."

"Mom, you should have asked me..."

"I'm sorry, I-"

"May I talk to Cade out here quickly?" I sharply inhaled, and put my hands on my head so I could breathe.

"Uh, yeah of course."

We left the kitchen, and stood in the living room together.

"Hey, it was a surprise, I thought it would make you happy." Cade said, as he walked closer to me again and tried to grab my hand.

"No, don't touch me! What is your problem, Cade?!" I said under my breath, as I gritted my teeth to keep myself from snapping at him.

"Alice, calm down."

"Don't you dare tell me to calm down."

"I'm sorry, did I do something to you?" He said, confused.

"Did I do something to you? Yes, you did something to me. I don't know how you could think it is remotely okay to show your face here."

"I didn't do anything..."

"I'm sorry, but how stupid are you?" I began to cry and rushed up the steps to my room.

I shut the door and threw my purse on the ground. I laid on the floor, quietly sobbing to myself.

I completely embarrassed myself and my family again, and my perfect night was completely ruined.

"Alice, what the hell is your problem?!" Anna yelled, as she forcefully opened my door.

"Alice?" She bent down to the ground and poked me.

"What... what is it..." I groaned, keeping my face to the floor. My hair was stuck to my face, and I was shaking.

"What the hell happened to you?"

"Nothing."

"Do I need to call Vicki to come over here?" She asked.

"Don't know, don't care." I said, as I sat up and put my hands on my face.

"Why don't you apologize to Cade, you were a real bitch down there." She got up and rolled her eyes.