Duration Spent

"That is always how Tessa talks about Will," Magnus said rolling his eyes, though Alec noticed the warlock's underlying affection for her.

"I see," Alec said, not sure what else to say. In his mind, great-great-great grandson meant a crazy long time since this Will person had been alive, yet she spoke as if she'd seen him yesterday.

"If Jem had had children I'd keep track of them too," Tessa said as if defending someone who wasn't present to defend himself. "He had nephews, though the lines seems to have died out. You die so easily." She sounded sad like she wished all Nephilim could live long peaceful lives. Alec couldn't help, but be amazed by the obvious way she cared for his kind. Magnus was different; he cared for Alec, but very clearly not for all nephilim in general like Tessa seemed to.

"Who's Jem?" Alec asked.

"Will's best friend," Tessa replied wistfully.

"She dated them both," Magnus laughed and Tessa's lost in the clouds expression quickly shifted to an annoyed one.

"Oh, and you're one to talk!" Tessa huffed. "With a nephilim here."

"Alexander is my guest for the week," Magnus replied, casually as if this was of no consequence.

"Oh and how did you arrange that?" Tessa asked. "Isn't he the prince or something?"

"I saved his life, actually," Magnus told her, a little smug. "And yes, he is."

"Hmm," Tessa eyed her friend. "What are you up to?"

"Must you think I'm up to something," Magnus sighed, covering his face with his hand dramatically.

"Yes," Tessa replied curtly. "You, my friend, have spent the better part of a century complaining about shadowhunters and here I arrive to find you housing one."

"I don't complain that much," Magnus defended himself. Alec wasn't sure what to make of this interaction, though it fascinated him to no end. He hadn't thought about it this way. Why was Magnus with him when Magnus hated the rest of his kind? It either showed a great meaning behind Magnus's actions or a greater attraction to Alec than he'd realized.

"Oh please," Tessa scoffed, with a dismissive wave in Magnus's direction. She then turned her attention to Alec. "If you are in any way, shape or form here against your wishes tell me now and I will help you escape."

"Umm," Alec mumbled unsure how to reply. Technically he hadn't chosen to be here, but that didn't mean he didn't want to be here. Even if Magnus hated his kind, Alec wanted to be here next to Magnus.

"Alexander is free to leave whenever he wants," Magnus snapped at her.

"Good," Tessa replied as if that settled the matter.

"You hungry?" Alec asked her, trying to lighten the mood. "There's leftover bacon sandwiches." And just like that Tessa was laughing; the tension was gone.

"I like you, Alexander," Tessa said. "And I'd love a sandwich." Alec smiled at her and together the three of them went back to the kitchen.

It turned out Tessa was good company. She praised Alec's cooking though he'd done little but cook the meat. Tessa was very interested in learning about current Shadowhunter society.

"It seems not much has changed since I lived in the Palace," Tessa said after Alec gave her a summary.

"How did you get past the shield?" Alec asked, curious. "Magnus couldn't enter."

"They lowered it for me," Tessa explained. "Then once I was inside it went back up which, of course, meant I couldn't leave, but I didn't care because I had Will and Jem."