Challenge Confronted

Magnus's hand slipped from Alec's grip and it was like a piece of him broke off, a piece of his heart that would forever remain in this instant before Magnus's hand slipped away. Alec noticed the hole it left as his parents flocked to him, fussing over his health and state of mind.

"I'm fine, dad," Alec said in monotone, though he was anything but fine. He didn't fancy explaining to them exactly why he would never be fine again and they seemed perfectly satisfied with his simple reply. The King and Queen instantly started talking about what they've been up to all week. Alec didn't really listen until the word wife was brought up.

"Your wife, Alec," Maryse explained when Alec inquired what she meant. "We didn't want the news of you living with a warlock no matter the reason to cause scandal and lead to you marrying beneath yourself, so we contacted the noble families of our allies. There are after all so few unattached shadowhunters living here. It's best if you marry a princess from elsewhere, for the bloodline and to strengthen our alliances."

"We have invited all eligible ladies to join us for a grand party where you can meet them," Robert explained.

"I don't want to marry. Can't I rule without an heir?" Alec whined. "When I'm old and grey I'll just choose a successor."

"There are precious few nephilim left," Maryse said. "If we stop having children there will be no one left to defend against demon attacks."

"There are the warlocks," Alec argued. Both his parents stood frozen for a second, before exchanging a knowing look.

"I was afraid of this," Robert sighed. "I knew that fowl man just wanted to warp your mind. You are home and safe now, Alec, please don't pay any mind to anything he said."

Alec jerked out of his father's grip before yelling, "You have no idea why Magnus asked for me." Then he bolted, before his parents could see the tears on his face. Alec ran until he found himself alone in his suddenly depressing bedroom. Alec blocked the door with his dresser before either of his parents caught up with him. He could hear them knocking a few moments later, but he didn't open it. He sobbed until his eyes ran dry, then he just lay there in his cold empty bed and let the misery have him until, exhausted he drifted off to sleep alone.

The next morning, when he woke Alec saw breakfast sitting on his bedside table and the sun streaming in through the open windows. He knew they'd managed to get past his blockage during the night, but he couldn't bring himself to care.

Hungry, Alec ate the meal, then resigned himself to the worst, got up and faced the day.

His parents were apologetic saying they shouldn't have cornered him like that. They admitted they knew he hadn't wanted to marry long before his time with the warlock. Either of them made anything of Alec's words during his outburst and didn't ask why Magnus had chosen Alec. In fact, neither of his parents used Magnus's name once and Alec hated it. They reassured Alec that once he was settled with his wife and a child on the way, Alec would be free to seek any other companionship he craved. The idea made Alec feel sick to his stomach.

What kind of woman would want to enter into such an agreement? To bear his children, yet receive no love or loyalty in return?

"We won't tell her, of course," Robert said, his mother nodding her head behind her husband. "With political marriages people expect this sort of thing, but no one talks about it, so you are not to worry either." Not once in Alec's life had he seen love in the eyes of his parents for each other. He knew they'd both had affairs and were both aware of the others. The whole idea made Alec sick to his stomach. Why was a child born of love, but not wedlock considered illegitimate while a child born within nothing but a political partnership valued so highly?