TWO

"Ms

"Ms. Hart will be with you shortly," the old secretary said once Kaya introduced herself. "She's running a bit late today."

Kaya nodded and sat in a plastic chair. The community center was pretty new, built about a year after Kaya started college. It housed plenty of activities to keep students and adults busy: two basketball courts, an indoor and outdoor swimming pool, a small theater, ten small meeting rooms and three large ones, a gym, boxing ring, and a game room. The purpose of the center was to keep kids out of the streets and away from drugs, which had been something that the mayor and police had been trying to work on for years. Kaya may not have liked Alison, but what she was doing for the people of Layton was something that Kaya could somewhat forgive her for.

"Ms. Perry?" the secretary asked. "She'll see you now."

Alison's office was in the back of the building, where the rest of the administrative staff worked. It was neat and clean; minimalistic in nature. A large part of the office was filled with cubicles for all of the department heads, and then at the back of the room were the other offices for human resources and the director of the community center, a.k.a. Alison.

Kaya knocked before entering the office, and marveled at how neat and clean it was. Like the cubicles outside of the office, Alison's office was minimalist-inspired, with a large bookshelf that held a bunch of books and trinkets, located near the door. There were a couple of sitting chairs nearer to the middle of the room, with a coffee table in front of them as well as a tea set. By Alison's modern black desk, a few succulents sat on the windowsill and a coffee maker sat against the wall closest to the desk. Alison was grabbing a cup of coffee when Kaya walked in.

Before the woman could notice her, Kaya observed her.

Alison had always been the pinnacle of style, known for her elegance and impeccable knowledge of what looked good on her or not. She was often the cause of trends at Layton Senior High School—that was how well she dressed. By senior year Alison had a signature look: powerfully-cut, well-tailored jumpsuits paired with a beautiful pair of heels and gold jewelry.

Kaya pretended not to notice the widening of Alison's eyes when she walked in. Of course, Alison didn't expect to see Kaya, the girl whose life she made miserable. Didn't the woman read the file before asking for an interview? Did she not recognize her name?

"Kaya Perry," Alison said, walking to the chairs that Kaya had walked past earlier. She set her coffee on the table. "It's...nice to see you here." Kaya could see the effort it took for Alison to speak respectfully and almost rolled her eyes.

"You as well," Kaya said. Alison gestured for her to sit and Kaya did, though she felt extremely uncomfortable.

"So," Alison said. "Welcome home. It's nice to see Layton's people come back to help the community that they grew up in."