Chapter 6

The rain stopped by the time we reached King's Lake, a large body of water in between the waterhole and what Zira explained as the Outlands. When I first laid eyes on the barren land, my heart sank. King's Lake marked the border between the Pridelands and the Outlands.

There were no trees. Only horizon after horizon of rocky hills, ravines, and sand. How were we supposed to survive here? But Zira kept leading us onward towards a silhouetted form in the distance. The closer we got, I realized that it was a termite mound-a gigantic one at that.

My paws hurt and I was so tired from walking so far. Three running strides for me equaled one of Zira's. I hoped she might pick me up so that I didn't have to keep running, but she wouldn't look at me. She probably felt Scar's loss worse than any of us.

"There are caverns beneath the termite mounds. We'll make our home there." Zira announced to everyone.

She sounded so monotone, so hurt. We were all distraught after the battle. I kept seeing Scar falling over and over again like it was ingrained in my memory. No matter how tightly I closed my eyes, it was still there.

"Hasana," Armani suddenly gasped. She nearly collapsed to the ground. "I think my cubs are coming!"

Cato, Armani's mate, started panicking. "What do we do, Zira?!"

Zira hardly glanced at them. "Ramla, Hasana, and Cato take her into the tunnels. She can have her cubs there. Everyone else, gather around. We've got work to do."

Ramla, a lean pale brown lioness, helped Hasana and Cato bring Armani into the tunnels. There was only one entrance it seemed, but Zira explained that there were miles of tunnels and caverns. Zira leaped onto a boulder so that she was higher up than everyone.

"Gather around!" Zira ordered.

Issa nudged Nuka, Kovu, and I towards her with the rest of us following. It seemed that Issa was mothering us more than Zira. When we reached the rock, Kovu and I both collapsed from exhaustion. At least I still had my brother at my side.

"Simba has taken everything from us: our home, our King...but there is one thing that he can never take: our dignity." Zira studied every one of us with intensity. "Scar is dead, but before he died, he named which of our cubs will succeed him, who I will remain regent over."

I raised my head expectantly. Scar always gave me the most attention. It was obvious that I was the strongest in body and mind. Sure Nuka was older, but he wasn't very smart. Kovu might be stronger than me, but I had more confidence and wit. It seemed that I was the obvious choice.

"Wait, hold on," Nadra, an dark gray lioness, growled. "We have no kingdom, so what use do we have for an heir?"

Zira glared at her. "That's why we must gather our strength and reclaim the Pridelands!" She looked down at Nuka, Kovu, and me. My heart lifted with hope. Maybe we could reclaim the Pridelands one day, and maybe I could be the one leading us. "Scar named his heir...Kovu."

My heart plummeted. Kovu? Scar named Kovu as his heir? Was it because I was a lioness, not a lion? I hadn't thought such an old conformity meant anything to Scar. Shouldn't a leader be chosen for their skills, not their gender?

The lionesses surrounding us roared with approval. Kovu lifted his head in surprise. Nuka shot Kovu a look of pure envy. At least I knew how to hide my jealousy. Then I realized that Scar chose Kovu for a reason. If I really loved my father, I would respect his dying wish.

So I took a deep breath, turned to Kovu, and dipped my head in congratulations. He seemed surprised by the gesture, but I meant it sincerely. Scar was my King even if he was dead and I would follow his wishes.

"The Outlands will only be our home temporarily," Zira promised. "In no time we'll have Simba and Nala's blood spilled from here to the gorge!"

The lionesses roared with approval, their sound carrying above the wind. Ramla appeared at the tunnel entrance excitedly. "Armani and Cato have two daughters!"

Zira turned back to face everyone once more. "Their birth signifies the dawning of a new era...one bathed in vengeance and blood. To Scar!"

"To Scar!" The Outlanders cheered.

I joined in, but my voice was small compared to the rest of them. Kovu and Nuka were also cheering, but Kovu caught my eye. "I'll stand by you, brother," I promised him. "Together we'll reclaim the Pridelands for our father."

Kovu replied with a smile, then we returned to cheering. In my mind, I made a promise to Scar. I wouldn't stop until Simba and the Pride were taken down.

When the cheering subsided, Zira led the way towards the Termite Hill. We entered into the tunnels, allowing the darkness to swallow us whole. The tunnel led directly into a gigantic cavern with its ceiling soaring high overhead. There was a tiny hole at the top which allowed for some starlight to come in. Off of the main cavern branched many other tunnels.

At the center of the cavern was a throne of sorts. It was made of stone and was big enough to hold a grown lion. Zira brightened at the sight of it. "Kovu, that shall be your throne." She picked him up by the scruff and set him down at the center of the throne. "All hail Prince Kovu!"

Again, everyone cheered. Despite Scar's death and their banishment, the Outlanders spirits were rising. I felt honored to belong among such strong-hearted lions. Even if we were knocked down, we would just build ourselves up stronger.

~*~

A/N
Just a reminder to my wonderful readers to please vote and comment! Comments make my day :)