Chapter 21

My sobs that night were silent but never-ending. Every fiber in my body ached with the pain of knowing Kopa was brutally murdered by my own mother. I always knew Zira to be cruel. She's never offered me a kind word or a motherly comfort, but killing someone my own age, a cub, was a low I never thought anyone could reach.

After Kopa drowned in his own blood, I sat there as long as Mother would allow which wasn't nearly long enough. Tears streamed down my cheeks onto the rocks beneath my paws to mix with the blood of my best friend. It seemed like only heartbeats before Zira snarled at me to get moving. She shoved me away from him as I began to sob, to release my sadness I'd buried deep inside. Mother struck me and told me to never cry again.

So I quit...at least while she could see me.

Mother led the way back to the Outlands with Nuka beaming at her side like some sick, twisted fool. This was all his fault! He led Mother here knowing full well what she was capable of. Nuka wanted this. Anything to earn Mother's favor.

Even if it killed someone.

When we returned to the Termite Mounds, Zira explained what happened in a jovial tone that made me sick. The others celebrated the Prince's death. I couldn't bear being near them in that moment, so I ran deep within the tunnels away from prying eyes or ears. It's there in the solitude of darkness that I sobbed as silently as possible.

Memories danced in my mind of my time with Kopa. I saw the first time we met and remembered clearly the playful grin he always wore. I'd been so skeptical of his friendship at first. He hadn't a sliver of skepticism. It seemed that he knew we would be friends. Kopa could make friends with a hyena. He had that effect on everyone.

I reminisced of the games we would play, including our first game of tag with his sister, Kiara. I'd never even played until I met them. My shoulders shook with a choking sob as I realized Kiara would soon learn of her brother's death. The thought of losing one of my brothers, even Nuka after this fatal betrayal, weighed heavily on my shoulders. Kiara would be devastated.

I remembered those hot days when we would swim in King's Lake to escape the heat. I remembered our play fights and how I'd sometimes let him pin me. He never could on his own, of course. I was a warrior to the bone. His moss green eyes flickered in my mind with the playful promise of mischief.

All that disappeared the moment his soul left his body to join the Great Kings among the stars. I wondered if war existed among the Great Kings. Did my father and his brother, Mufasa, wage war upon each other, even in death? Or did those feelings of jealousy and hate disappear like mist in sunshine? Would Kopa find peace?

As night fell over the lands, the others began to turn in for the night. Even from my reclusive hollow in the caverns, I could hear the fall of their paw steps echoing. They mourned not for the fallen Prince. To the contrary, they celebrated his spilled blood even calling for the death of his twin, Kiara.

Kopa's cheerful face danced in my mind. My heart twisted with grief. "I miss you..." I murmured out loud even though I knew he couldn't hear me. The words fell on deaf ears.

Suddenly, the sound of approaching paws steps silenced my quiet whimpers. I brushed away my tears with my paw and stood to greet whoever sought me out from the darkness. The little light that managed to find it's way this deep in the caverns silhouetted the familiar figure of Kovu. My brother hesitated in the yawning entrance, seemingly unsure if I wanted to be disturbed. Due to my determined facade...he will never know.

"Vitani?" Kovu uttered with uncertainty.

"Does mother need me?" I growled slightly under my breath, so faintly Kovu could barely hear it.

Kovu shook his head, his green eyes widened slightly. He must've caught a hint of the growl in my strained voice. As much as I tried to hide my insufferable pain, I felt my mask cracking. I opened my mouth to speak, but all that escaped my lips was a whimper.

Without a word, Kovu sidled up to me to wrap me in his embrace. At his comforting touch, I completely broke down and my facade with me. My shoulders shook with quiet sobs. Kovu said nothing. He simply let me cry into his shoulder.

Kovu never knew Kopa, yet he seemed to sympathize with my pain despite our mother's heartless teachings. Both of us betrayed her mantra simply by feeling something other than hatred or a thirst for vengeance. At least now I knew I wasn't alone.

"Now," Kovu whispered, "Wipe your tears and rejoin the Pride. You cannot let Mother see you crying."

I obeyed him for the first time in my life. I wiped my tears and pushed my grief deep down in my heart where no one could see it. Not even me. Together we returned to the main cavern where the rest of the Pride were beginning to sleep.

I found my nest beside Nuka while Kovu took his elated place on the throne.

I told myself that I'd never cry again.

~*~

A/N

Long time no see! As some of you may know, this spring I was student teaching. It took up all of my spare time but I'm back now! Thank you so much for your support and patience, as always.