Chapter 27

I know that I NEVER update something so short, but I tore my tendon connected to my pelvic bone, so I have to keep my leg straight and immobile for at least 2 weeks. That means that, since I don't have a laptop, it hurts to sit and type up a chapter for you guys :( Just wanted to let you know what's going on. Sorry!

______________________________________________________

I excelled under Jace’s watchful eye. He handled a fire knife like one was born in his hand. Within a couple of hours, I was hitting the target perfectly. In the next few days, I could sink the blade into the center from fifty yards away. Demons had a little bit more extra strength than humans, but it wasn’t one of our main abilities. Xavier said vampires and werewolves usually dominated in the muscle category.

My mate and his pair number made slow but steady progress. By the end of the week, they were talking to each other civilly, usually discussing my fighting and other safe, polite topics. Nothing too personal. I noticed them growing closer, though, as the bond nursed their easy friendship back to health. They were cracking jokes in the hallway like they used to before I knew it, and eventually talked everything out. Violet and I were there as buffers in case things got heated, but they never even raised their voices at each other. I think they were too relieved to finally talk to each other again. Jace didn’t need an apology for Xavier’s silence. The regret was written across my mate’s face, which lately had been passive and stone cold. The sorrowful expression spoke “sorry” a thousand times.

It seemed like the condition of our house spread throughout the entire demon race. As things improved, so did our economy. Some dark fairies were supposedly recovering from a civil war, and their new queen was trying to stabilize them. Our resources were offered in generous amounts, and the markets boomed.

The volcanoes had left behind glowing emotions for the demons, too. Families were growing closer than ever before. Education averages were skyrocketing, even though I was constantly checking up on the school board to make sure Xavier had kept his promise to me. Willy or any other child would never get bullied again, if I could help it. I became slightly obsessed with the education of my race and gradually took over that entire section of Xavier’s and Jonathon’s duties. The men were unwilling to hand over the reins of such a critical part of their society, but I practically stole the paperwork out of Xavier’s files and refused to give it back. Xavier eventually relented and even got me my own desk in our room. It was smaller than his, naturally, but it was enough.

About the time that Jonathon and his son caved under my insistence for control of the demon schooling, Dawn presented her own surprise to us. Her belly swelled in the way only an expecting mother does. Ignis became even more territorial over his mate, and it was a rare sight to see her alone. Xavier and I instantly agreed that the foal would be Willy’s, but we were keeping it a secret until it was born. Willy was determined to help with the birth, and Ignis surprisingly allowed him the privilege of cooing over Dawn. Xavier and I were the only ones who could be around her nowadays. Even Jace and Violet were shunned, even though the worst they ever got was a warning huff and a stomp of his hoof.

For the first time since I had arrived, everything was mellow. No fights or doubts between mates. No late night waits for Jace to appear. No threatening notes. No bullied children. Nothing other than love, affection, and happiness radiated through the demon realm. Violet’s change was being whispered in hopeful tones, and Jace seemed to get more and more elated each day, leading me to believe that Violet was getting ready to settle into her demon life permanently. When they came out of their bedroom, that is. I was truly starting to see the similarities between Jace and Xavier when it came to Violet and me: possessiveness, protectiveness, and a whole lot of affection.

I couldn’t say much, though. Xavier and I shared a fair amount of time in our bedroom.

“Xavier!” I giggled as he trailed light, teasing kisses down my neck. “Stop it! I have to schedule an assembly for Willy’s school sometime next week.”

“Later,” he grunted, creating manacles around my wrists with his long fingers and tugging them above my head. “You’re busy.”

I forgot my next excuse when he reached my blaze, attacking it mercilessly with his teeth, tongue, and lips. I could do little else than turn my head to give him more access and voice my appreciation.

“You are so beautiful, Princess,” he whispered, kissing his way up to my ear. His hands ghosted their way down my arms, across my neck. They hesitated at my chest before continuing into the dip of my waist, finally reaching their destination at the flare of my hips—my shirt. He tugged it over my head in one fluid motion, and I reciprocated by doing the same to him. Hooking my legs around his waist, I took advantage of his distracted mind to flip us over so I straddled his sinewy hips.

“You’re thinking like a human, Princess,” he growled, clearly unhappy about my show of dominance. “You know this isn’t how it works. Lay back down.”

I ignored his demand, enjoying my new access to his torso. Letting my hands wander with a mind of their own, my lips traveled to my claim on his neck in the same way he had done to me.

I bit his blaze, smirking when his muscles contracted involuntarily. The grip he had on my hips tightened warningly. “Oh, calm down,” I muttered. “You’re being exceptionally possessive today.”

“And you’re being mouthy,” he retorted, flipping us over again. He hovered over me enticingly. “What should I do about that, hmm?”

“Forgive and forget,” I answered.

“And why would I do that?”

“Because Willy is going to come in here any second asking for lunch,” I smirked, raising my head so our lips brushed slightly. “So I would get off your high horse and enjoy kissing me for a few minutes before we have to act like nothing happened.”

His head whipped towards the clock on our nightstand, seeing that it was indeed close to lunchtime. He growled at my logic, smashing his lips to mine with bruising force. I responded eagerly. “Just this once,” he said, nipping at my lip. I resisted the urge to laugh at how tightly I had him wrapped around my finger. He had said the same thing yesterday. 

_________________________________________________________

If you want me to fully explain what happened, you can PM me, but the outcome is that my writing is gonna take a backseat until I'm better. I just want to focus on healing, and then I can start picking up where I left off. So sorry guys, you have no idea how much it sucks not being able to even sit here without pain and write as much as I want to :(

Anyways, enough of that pity party! I hope you enjoyed this chapter, no matter how short it was. Vote, comment, and fan! :) I love you guys <3