Terms and Conditions

It was very quiet in Bag End while they all waited for Thorin Oakenshield to finish eating. With food in his belly and ale in his tankard, his mood seemed slightly improved. Bilbo made a move to collect the empty plates. Only Hannah got up to help him.

"I suppose you will all stay to supper?" asked Bilbo upon noting that it was nearly time for the next meal, and none of them seemed to be in any hurry to leave. He hoped there was still enough food for another meal left in the pantry.

"Of course!" said Thorin. "And after. We shan't get through the business till late. By the way, Gandalf, who is that girl? Why is there a child  here?"

"That young lady, Miss Hannah Hayes, is my apprentice," said the wizard, finally introducing his young companion, who turned and bowed her head politely to the Dwarf.

"I did not think wizards like you took apprentices," said Thorin dubiously.

"Indeed we do not, normally. And that right there should tell that there is more to her than meets the eye," answered Gandalf.

"Indeed," said Thorin, though he did not appear convinced.

"What news from the meeting in Ered Luin?" asked Balin. "Did they all come?"

"Aye. Envoys from all seven kingdoms," said Thorin. At this the Dwarves let out a cheer.

"And what did the Dwarves of the Iron Hills say?" asked Dwalin. "Is Dáin with us?"

"They will not come. They say this quest is ours and ours alone," Thorin answered solemnly. Their good spirits fell upon hearing that.

"You're going on a quest?" asked Bilbo, alerting the others to his presence. They hadn't even realized he had returned.

"Bilbo, my dear fellow, let us have a little more light," said Gandalf. While Bilbo fetched another candle, the wizard withdrew an old map from his robes and placed it in front of Thorin. "Far to the east, over ranges and  rivers... beyond woodlands and wastelands... lies a single, solitary peak."

"The Lonely Mountain," Bilbo read aloud as he returned with the candle, peering over Thorin's shoulder.

"Aye, Óin has read the portents. And the portents say it is time," said Glóin.

"Ravens have been seen flying back to the mountain, as it was foretold: When the birds of yore return to Erebor, the reign of the beast will end," said Óin.

"Uh, what beast?" asked Bilbo.

"That would be a reference to Smaug the Terrible, chiefest and greatest calamity of our age," answered Bofur. "Airborne fire-breather. Teeth like razors, claws like meat hooks. Extremely fond of precious metals."

"Yes, I know what a dragon is," said Bilbo.

"I'm not afraid. I'm up for it," Ori said, shooting out of his chair. "I'll  give him a taste of Dwarfish iron right up his jacksie!"

"Good lad, Ori!" said Nori.

"Sit down," said Dori, pulling the young Dwarf back into his seat.

"The task would be difficult enough with an army behind us; but we number just thirteen," said Balin. "And not thirteen of the best. Nor  brightest."

"Here, who you calling dim?" Ori asked while the other Dwarves muttered amongst themselves.

"Sorry, what did he say?" asked Óin.

"We may be few in number; but we're fighters, all of us, to the last Dwarf," Fili said boldly.

"And you forget, we have a wizard and his apprentice in our company," added Kili. "Gandalf will have killed hundreds of dragons in his time."