Roast Mutton

"Aren't  we going to wait for Bilbo?" asked Hannah as she, Gandalf, and the  Dwarves started away on their journey with everyone on a pony, except  the wizard who was on a horse because he was too large to ride the small  breed.

"Don't worry, I left him a note along with the contract  that we would be waiting for him at the Green Dragon Inn in Bywater, if  he does not catch up to us sooner," said Gandalf.

Fortunately they  did not have to wait long, and the hobbit soon came flying up behind  them before they had gone too far from Hobbiton.

"Wait! Wait!"  cried Bilbo, calling them to a halt. "I signed it. Here," he said  proudly, handing the contract up to Balin. Gandalf and Hannah smiled at  the hobbit as he glanced over at them, glad to see he had made it.

"Everything  appears to be in order," said Balin. "Welcome, Master Baggins, to the  company of Thorin Oakenshield." The old Dwarf said with a chuckle while  the others laughed, (most of them) pleasantly surprised.

"Give him a pony," said Thorin.

"No,  no, that won't be necessary, thank you. I'm sure I can keep up on  foot," said Bilbo quickly, clearly very uncomfortable with the idea.  "I've done my fair share of walking holidays, you know? Even got as far  as Frogmorton once." But his protests were of no use, and the hobbit let  out a small cry as he found himself being hauled up and set upon a  pony, without his consent. Hannah and Gandalf shared a small smile of  wry amusement at the sour expression on the hobbit's face while he sat  atop his ride.

"Come on, Nori. Pay up," said Óin, laughing as he caught the small pouch of coins tossed his way.

"One more," said Kili.

"Thanks, lad," said Óin as another was tossed his way.

"What's that about?" Bilbo asked Gandalf.

"Oh, they took wagers on whether or not you would turn up," answered Gandalf. "Most of them bet that you wouldn't."

"And what did you think?" asked Bilbo.

"Well..."  said the wizard. He and Hannah both reached up and caught their  winnings as they were tossed at them. Gandalf chuckled. He hadn't  realized she had also placed a bet. That was very bold of her,  considering she hadn't enough coin of her own to back it up. "My dear  fellow, we never doubted you for a second." Bilbo began to smile, but  then screwed up his face and let out a loud sneeze.

"Ugh.  It's horse hair. Must be having a reaction," he groaned, quickly  searching his pockets for a handkerchief. "No, wait, wait, stop. Stop!  We have to turn around," Bilbo said, holding up a hand to halt the  company.

"What on earth is the matter?" asked Gandalf.

"I've forgotten my handkerchief," answered Bilbo.

"You cannot be serious?" Hannah deadpanned. He stopped them for that?

"Here,  use this," said Bofur, tossing him his spare. To Bilbo's dismay it was not so much a handkerchief as it was a very rough dirty rag. It was heavy  and made a very suspiciously wet smacking sound when he caught it.  Hannah grimaced while the rest of the Dwarves let out a chuckle.

"Move on," said Thorin, leading the company on again.

"Here,"  Hannah said, pulling up beside Bilbo to lend him her own spare, taking  pity on the hobbit. Bilbo was very grateful, for unlike Bofur's rag, it  was made of smooth and clean white linen that was still as fresh as a  daisy. It had two H's and a rose embroidered on one of the corners.

After  that the party went along very merrily, and they told stories or sang  songs as they rode forward all day, except of course when they stopped  for meals. These didn't come quite as often as Bilbo would have liked them,  but still he began to feel that adventures were not so bad after all.
At  first they passed through Hobbit-lands, a wild respectable country  inhabited by decent folk, with good roads, an inn or two, and now and  then a dwarf or farmer ambling by on business. Then they came to lands  where people spoke strangely, and sang songs Bilbo had never heard  before. Now they had gone far into the Lone-lands, where there were no  people left, no inns, and the roads grew steadily worse. Not far ahead  were dreary hills, rising higher and higher, dark with trees. On some of  them were old castles with an evil look, as if they had been built by  wicked people. Everything seemed gloomy, for the weather that day had  taken a nasty turn. Mostly it had been as good as May can be, even in  merry tales, but now it was cold and wet. In the Lone-lands they had to  camp when they could, but at least it had been dry.