The Building Storm

Now the days passed slowly and wearily. Many of the Dwarves spent their time piling and ordering the treasure; and now Thorin spoke of the Arkenstone of Thrór, and bade them eagerly to look for it in every corner.

"For the Arkenstone of my grandfather," he said, "is worth more than a river of gold in itself, and to me it is beyond price. That stone of all the treasure I name unto myself, and I will be avenged on anyone who finds it and withholds it."

Bilbo heard these words and he grew afraid, wondering what would happen, if the stone was found—wrapped in an old bundle of tattered oddments that he used as a pillow. Thorin grew more suspicious every day the stone went unfound, and had even begun to have doubts about the loyalty of his own kin. All the same Bilbo did not speak of it, for as the weariness of the days grew heavier, the beginnings of a plan had come into his little head.

In Dale Hannah watched grimly while her hosts took advantage of the siege to further their preparations for war. The Lake-men had relieved the old armories of their contents, and the Elves were teaching the men how to fight, for many of them were fishermen by trade and knew little of weapons. Before she had often been in the company of Legolas and Bard, but they were now more often than not busy carrying out tasks among their people. And always she could feel a pair or two of eyes upon her watching her every move to make sure she did not try to run or conspire with the Dwarves. Hannah began to feel rather lonely and to wish that Gandalf were there to help her and to give her advice.

Things had gone on like this for some time, when their camp received an unexpected and most welcome visitor.

"Let me through! Make way!" shouted a voice that was very familiar to Hannah's ears and had been much missed. She ran out and saw the Wizard riding through the ruined streets.

"Gandalf!" she cried out in surprise and relief, overjoyed to see her long absent mentor again.

"Hannah!" said the wizard, looking equally surprised to see her among the men and the Elves. He immediately brought his horse to a stop and dismounted. "What are you doing here?" he asked with no small amount of concern. "Who is in charge?"

"Who is asking?" said Bard, approaching them. He had heard Hannah's raised voice and had come to see what might have alarmed her. Hannah quickly introduced the wizard and the bowman to each other, and did her best to summarize the current state of affairs for her mentor as they walked him over to the Elvenking's tent. There they met with Thranduil and Legolas, who were surprised to learn the mentor Hannah had spoken of was none other than a Wizard, and one known to them at that. However the Elvenking felt this newfound knowledge of the strange girl's mysterious background did help to somewhat explain some of her eccentricities and answered more than just a few of the questions that had so far remained unanswered.

"You must set aside your petty grievances with the Dwarves," said Gandalf sternly. "War is coming. The cesspits of Dol Guldur have been emptied. You are all in mortal danger."

"What are you talking about?" asked Bard while Legolas furrowed his brow and glanced questioningly at Hannah. Was this what she had meant went she told them that there was more to the Dwarves' quest than they knew?

"I can see you know nothing of Wizards. They are like winter thunder on a wild wind rolling in from a distance, breaking hard in alarm. But sometimes a storm is just a storm," said Thranduil with a cool air of indifference.

"Not this time," said Gandalf. "Armies of Orcs are on the move. These are fighters, they have been bred for war."

"Why show his hand now?" asked Legolas.

"Because we forced him! We forced him when the Company of Thorin Oakenshield set out to reclaim their homeland," snswered the wizard grimly. "The Dwarves were never meant to reach Erebor. Azog the Defiler was sent to kill them. His master seeks control of the Mountain. Not just for the treasure within, but where it lies, its strategic position. This is the gateway to reclaiming the lands of Angmar in the North. If that fell kingdom should rise again..." he looked hard at the Elvenking, knowing that Thranduil should need no explanation, given his past; "Rivendell, Lórien, the Shire—even Gondor itself will fall."