-Chapter 9-

Ezra bowed his head as he entered through the oak door, rising high above his own head. The door must have loomed at least eight feet higher than himself, and it had to be opened by two other black Hoods. 

Dorian, and Albus. 

They looked him over carefully but nevertheless, opened the door to him with much hesitation present in their body language and expressions. 

Ezra ignored these signs and commented it was urgent and of danger to the Hood Society if he could not speak with the red Hood. 

They complied. 

Red Hood looked at Ezra with intrigue in his glistening blue eyes, grey hair shining in the lantern's low light hanging from above his head on the curved ceiling. 

He sat behind his oak desk filled with multiple paper and littered with various pens. 

No one else was present and the door was slowly closed behind him, and when the sudden ring sounded through the room, Ezra stepped forward. 

"Ezra, my child, why do you come to see me?" 

Ezra took in the elderly features of the man, and realized how long it had been since he'd seen his face without the cast of a dark shadow across it. Multiple wrinkles had formed across his face and his skin had grown paler, now the color of ivory. 

Ezra stood silently for a moment before placing his hands behind his back and remembering etiqutte when speaking one on one to the red Hood. 

He slowly begun to remove his hood. 

"Ezra, you don't have to do that if you don't wish. I already know your strong respect for me. Please feel comfortable." 

Ezra would have smiled if his mouth would have allowed it, and lowered his hand, "Thank you."

Red Hood nodded once and then gave a concerned look, "Ezra, tell me what troubles you, child." 

Ezra was quiet for just a second before replying softly, "Red Hood, another village is amongst us. Not very far, perhaps just a mile. In the south-west." 

"Opposite of us then." 

"Yes." 

Red Hood stood slowly, his eyes scanning his desk as though the answer to all his problems lied within the random sheets of paper stacked neatly around his desk.

"Do they seem dangerous?" 

"No, not in my opinion." 

"Have they seen any of our own?" 

"..Yes. One girl in particular. She's seen our people many of times." 

He blinked slowly and put a hand to the back of his neck, "I see.." 

He was quiet for a moment before allowing himself to sink within the plush, red felt chair, rest his arms onto the dark wood arms of the chair with a sudden spell of weariness. 

"Ezra, watch these others carefully, but do not make contact with them. Do you understand?" His voice almost didn't belong to the aged skeletal of a man, it coming in a powerful wave of command and dictatorship. 

"Yes, Red Hood." Ezra responded quickly, nodding his head once and allowing it stay bent. 

"We don't know if they are a threat yet. Opinions are not facts so we must keep a careful eye on them." 

"Of course." 

"I trust you will not take matters into your own hands, so I will not be telling the others of this discovery. A few will kill them without thought. I can trust you though, yes?" 

"Of course, red Hood." 

"Have you told anyone of this other village?" 

"No, Red Hood." 

"Good. You shall keep quiet about this, watch them carefully, make no contact. Do not be seen, Ezra." 

"Yes, red Hood." 

"Be off then, Ezra. Thank you, you have done a great deed for The Society." 

"Thank you, red Hood." Ezra replied softly before straightening himself out and turning to leave, putting his hand on the metallic knock in order to alert Dorian and Albus to open the door. 

"Oh, and Ezra.." 

Ezra turned, "Yes, red Hood?" 

"Try and find out as much as you can..secretly..about this village, yes?" 

"Yes, Red Hood." 

"Perfect." 

Ezra slammed the piece of metal three times against the door quickly and within just  a few moments, the door was being pulled open, it was only about inch above the dark cement and dark brown wood of Red Hood's office. 

Ezra left quickly and ignored the questions thrown at him by Kane and Bryn, just before passing out the door on the other end of the hallway, and into the winter's afternoon.