-Chapter 10-

"You know, young Jacob Astor is a nice boy. His father is the preacher, so you know he has good moral values." 

Tahlia clutched the woven garment tighter, her eyes turning into almost slits at the sound of her mother's voice. 

"Yes, absolutely, but that makes for boring conversation." 

Her mother stopped stirring the thick substance of frosting on the counter, turning slowly, "Why would you say something like that? Because he's a good boy means he's boring?" 

"Mom, he doen't talk about anything other than, God." 

"Maybe that would be good for you. You need to find something to help you find your way, Tahlia. You worry me." 

Tahlia blinked slowly, pulling the sweater on and pushing the wooden button at the neck through the hole. She must have had a million of these knitted sweaters from her grandmother. 

"..Tahlia, I just want you to be happy." 

Tahlia rolled her eyes and gave a small smirk, "I'm happy just as I am." 

"But you wont be forever. At some point you'll grow tired of seeing other couples sharing hugs and kisses, and you'll wish there was someone there for you." 

Tahlia's face melted into a frown and she bit back the urge to glare harshly at her but instead, turned to look out the window at the other girls, giggling around a market cart, head bent over the table in the middle, looking at the jewlery. It was thick with snow on the roof of it and an evil thought crossed her mind of the ceiling collapsing and crushing all their giggling heads.

She shook the thought away.

The snow was falling thick today. 

"The snow is falling heavy today, I'll go and fetch the water before there's too much.." 

Her mother sighed heavily, "Tahlia, when you get back, we need to talk." 

"Yes, Mother." 

Tahlia opened the door, looking out into the grey sky, soft droplets of snow floating downward in the light cold freeze. 

They stuck to her dark hair and face as usual, and quickly she pulled the light brown hood up over her head, two buckets now in hand.