Numbers

Author's Note
So quick background information:
This takes place during No.Mercy. Spoilers will occur, so if you haven't seen it, watch it. I'll try to explain how it works, but like i said, its much easier if you have seen the show. I'm using the names they use in the show btw
Some of the things are changed but it does follow the storyline, so deal with it. I like to think it fits their personalities, but idk if it doesn't, oh well.
-
-
Hyungwon's heart raced. As they were ranked from 1 to 12, 12 being the worst, he felt his heart drop.

"Wonho." A loud voice spoke. The owner extended his hand, handing Wonho a tag with the number 4 on it.

Hyungwon lifted his head up to meet #4's eyes. He gave Hyungwon an encouraging smile, trying to assure him that his number would be low as well. Hyungwon suddenly forgot about the numbers at all. He stared at the eyes that seemed to reassuring and proud. It almost made Hyungwon shake. Almost.

The brunette quickly looked down at the floor again, avoiding #4's gaze. He blushed and shifted his feet uncomfortably.

"He's so cute, why is he looking this way..." He mumbled

"Yoonho."

Hyyungwon's heart sank again as another number was given away. And then a few more. He had lost all hope. It was day 1 and he was sure he was close to getting kicked off of the show. Imagine how embarrassing it would be to be the first one eliminated.

"Hyungwon." He finally heard his name being called. He stared at the name tag in shock.

Number...9...?

The brunette felt his heart break as he stepped back to the others and carefully attached the number to his white buttoned up shirt.

A few names were called and they all had the same expression as Hyungwon. They weren't kidding when they said it would be nearly impossible to debut.

The judges stepped out of the room, leaving the boys to rethink themselves after getting their numbers. Hyungwon stared this hands as he sank to the floor. Everyone quietly talking among themselves, but he sat alone in the corner.

He bit his lip hard to keep back tears. Number 9 out of 12? He felt empty. He was too close to the bottom.

"The only thing I remember about Hyungwon is that he is pretty." That's what the judge had said.

If he wasn't a model, he would've been #12?

He felt a hand on his shoulder to pull him out of his thoughts.

"Don't beat yourself up about it," a quiet voice spoke.

The brunette careful glanced up to see who disturbed him from his mind. He saw the boy who proudly wore #4 on his chest.

"W-what?" He stuttered, avoiding eye contact.
"Number 9 isn't so bad. You'll do so much better next time, trust me!" Wonho sat down on the floor next to Hyungwon. "It's our first day. You'll do better, I promise."

Hyungwon offered him a shy smile. "Thanks...My name is Chae Hyungwon, you're Wonho, right?"

The other boy's eyes widdened. "Woah, you remember my name!"

Hyungwon awkwardly stared at his hands in his lap again, unsure of what to say. His head was going crazy; it was so much to process in such little time.

Number 2 suddenly stood up. "Well, it's time to head to the dorm, so let's all walk together!" He beamed.

Wonho stood up and extended his hand to Hyungwon. The brunette blushed again and quickly accepted his help.

"You should sleep near me! You don't really seem all that social, but it's okay because I can do most of the talking." Wonho spoke quiet enough not to scare the boy away but with enough excitement to encourage him to accept his request.

Hyungwon quietly nodded as he walked next to the older boy. He felt so small compared to Wonho. Obviously physically speaking he was taller, but he felt as if Wonho was just better. He wondered how hard he worked to ensure he was going to debut. He wondered if he himself would even get the chance.

He got out of his head when he felt Wonho's fingers brush against his own. He blushed and stared at the ground as usual. Wonho was really handsome. Hyungwon wondered if he was a model, and if he was, why hadn't Hyungwon ran into him before. Wonho had something about him that made Hyungwon somehow feel safe, and he hated that. They were supposed to be enemies. They were both visuals, so clearly both of them wouldn't get the chance to debut.

Hyungwon shivered as they got closer to the dorm. It was still a five minute walk, according to Jooheon who insisted on leading.

"Are you cold?" Wonho glanced at the taller boy who silently nodded his head.

Wonho slid his large black jacket off and put it around Hyungwon's shoulders. Hyungwon stared at him, dumbfounded. He stopped walking and almost made Shownu and Kihyun run into him.

"Why are you being so nice?" He whispered. If he spoke any quieter Wonho wouldn't be able to hear him.

"I told you, we are going to be friends," he whispered back as he grabbed the taller guy's hand to pull him along so Shownu wouldn't yell at them.

Hyungwon nodded and pulled the jacket around him tighter. It felt so warm and smelled nice. He wondered if Wonho smelled like that, but he shook his head, dismissing the intrusive thought.

Soon they reached the dorm. It was quite small considering 12 boys were expected to live in it. Each bedroom had 2 sets of bunk beds, making there 3 bedrooms. In each bedroom there was a bathroom connected to it. They had a slightly small kitchen connected to a dining room which probably wouldn't get much use. The living room was the largest room in the house with a large L shaped couch but no TV or any electronics. It was small and plain. It made Hyungwon really miss home.

Wonho slightly tugged on Hyungwon's hand, letting him know he wanted to lead him somewhere. Hyungwon sighed and pulled his suitcase behind him, allowing Wonho to keep a tight grip on his hand.

Wonho led him into one of the bedrooms. "Top or bottom?"

Hyungwon didn't speak and threw his suitcase on the bottom bunk. He pulled out his small blanket and pillow and crawled into bed without a word or taking his clothes (or Wonho's jacket) off. The other boys loudly spoke in the other room, Hyungwon assumed they were making dinner since it was only 6 P.M.

Wonho sat his suitcase on the floor and sat on the side of Hyungwon's bed. He didn't say anything, allowing the younger to speak first.

"Thank you," he mumbled.

"Are you tired?" Wonho asked.

Hyungwon nodded, pulling the large jacket tighter around himself.

"Do you want me to let you sleep and go hang out with everyone else?"

Hyungwon shook his head, terrified of being left alone. He reached out his hand and took a hold of Wonho's shirt.

"S-stay, just until I fall asleep," the younger whispered.

Wonho sat at Hyungwon's feet and leaned against the wall. He wondered what had the shy boy so scared. He seemed uneasy and uncomfortable all day. He stayed away from everyone else and seemed to always be thinking.

'I'll protect you Number 9, no matter what. You'll debut with me, I promise." He whispered.

He heard Hyungwon's breathing finally steadying so he stood up and turned off the light, but ended up sitting at the end of the bed anyways.

Maybe he would sit there all night. Hyungwon looked so innocent with his messy hair and parted lips. He looked vulnerable.

Someone had to protect him, so Wonho decided he would be the one to do it.

As a friend, of course.

-

Author's Note
I will try to update soon, but leave me comments and let me know what you think!!💕