Chapter 5: A New Talent

After surgery, and a course of pain and physical therapy, Joli successfully recovered, and had no brace, cast, or sling for her arm since. 5 years later after the surgery, River was looking at family photos because she needed to put up memories of Johnny since he was going to Columbine State University that fall. He was going to try to become a vet. That morning River had told the twins to start looking at colleges because they were 14 and starting High school. Will was in his last year of middle school, and last year was the starting quarterback for his school football team. Gracie was 10 and starting 5th grade that year. Joli was now 7 and was going to be in 2nd grade. She was sad that Johnny was going away for many years. My my how time has gone. As I was saying, River was looking through family photos. She came across Joli on the couch with Johnny, snuggling, with her broken arm when she was three. River had a sudden spark of a book she could write. She decided to write a book about what it was like for the family with Jolie having the broken arm. She would give the book to Johnny once she was finished, and would maybe find and editor and publish it later if she had the time. She got to work right away. It explained what Johnny and Joli did while she had the broken arm. It also included what it felt like for the family, and what Joli felt, pain and relief. She decided to call the book, Recovery Road. The day that Johnny left, River gave the young man the book. Then she cried. Not believing that her oldest was off to college and she only had five more baby birds left and then her nest would be empty.

Joli also cried a lot, fearing that her only source of hope and friendship would be gone and she would be lonely and uncared for, like the week that Johnny spent camping with his friends. She gave him one last warm hug, when he whispered in her ear, "Be strong when you are weak, brave when you are scared, and humble when you are victorious." Jolie gave one last smile before watching him drive off to Columbine State University.

Many weeks passed by, and soon long, boring, school days started. When she came home, sometimes she thought Johnny was waiting there for her, telling her family he had come back early. Maybe eager to help with homework. But, he was never there. Life was dull without him. At least she still had Gracie. She was like another version of Johnny, but younger, and a female. Gracie might have been Joli's only hope while Johnny was gone that first month.

The second month of Johnny gone, Joli lightened up a bit. She thought if she made the days go quicker, winter break would eventually come, and Johnny would be home. She also got used to him not being there with her all the time. But, when Gracie left, she was so lonely, and it seemed like everybody ignored her. Even when she sneezed and coughed continuously.

A few weeks later, River released her book, Recovery Road. She made a plan for Johnny and Joli to talk there at the releasing. Joli was so excited when she found out Johnny was coming to the releasing, she jumped so hard that she accidentally knocked over a glass vase. Even that didn't break her excitement.

The day of the releasing of "Recovery Road" was on a Tuesday. A few nights before the book release Joli was overjoyed to the point where she passed out in the living room that Saturday night. The book release was in the middle of school, which meant both Joli and Johnny got to miss school that day. Joli had to wear her fanciest dress and get out her old blue sling (which was worn down) and pretend that her arm was still injured. Her mom put in the book that Jolie's arm never fully healed after the surgery five years ago. Joli skipped to the car in her dark purple dress with dark purple flowers all over it. She was so happy to finally see Johnny again.

Once they got to the Traveling Public Library, Joli ran through the doors looking for Johnny. But he wasn't there. Her mom walked in behind her, casually holding her published book.