Chapter Six

Six

I don’t know what time it is, and I don’t care. The city lights have lit up a black sky for hours. I’m hammered, completely shit-faced drunk, and I want it. Anything. The more the better. Maybe I’ll drink myself to death and drown in a pile of my own vomit… Okay, actually, I do still have limits. They’re just getting fuzzier with each drink. David’s a good guy and keeps them coming.

For my going-away party when I left for Seattle, I made my friends keep it small. I needed more than that to give me a reprieve from how I feel. The place is packed.

“Hey.” Finn nudges my shoulder. His dad is some kind of rock star or something. A drummer I think. Right now I forget, and I don’t care that I’ve forgotten.

“What’s up, man?” I put my arm around him. I’m down to my undershirt and suit pants. It’s what I have.

“I know you’re not really into this, but with your mom and all.”

It takes me a moment to focus on what he’s showing me. Neat lines of coke on a small glass tray. I grab his straw and suck a whole row up my nose. The rush hits me hard and fast. I’ve done this once before, swore I’d never do it again, but right now I don’t give a shit about anything. The room spins.

“Awesome, huh?” He pats my back.

I grin. That’s pretty much it. Every touch, every tingle shoots something like electricity through me. The only time I’ve ever felt this is with a girl. And one of those girls is walking toward me right now.

“Hey Gem.” I smile wide. I’m like flying over the furniture, the living room. I don’t even remember whose house we’re at, and it doesn’t matter. None of it matters. Her blonde is perfectly smooth as always, and I can think of a million ways she’d be a good distraction right now—all of which would make Amber blush.

“Are you finally ready to stop playing hard to get?” Her deep brown eyes open wide, and when her finger touches my chest, tingles of electricity rocket through my body. I’m awesome.

“Yep.” I nod. The movement spins the room again.

“Good.”

She tucks her fingers into the front of my pants, the way she knows I like, and pulls me with her. Each time her fingers move against my stomach I get more turned on. I don’t even care what she has planned. Anything would be good. Everything would be good.

“I’m sorry about your mom.” Her chest pushes into mine as she backs me into the wall of an empty bedroom. “Can I do something to make you feel better?” She licks her lips.

Damn. I grab her hand and rub it between my legs. Gem and I have been together before. We know each other. This is perfect. And normally I’d really try to make her feel good, or whatever, but tonight, I need escape.

“You want my mouth there, or my hands?” Her lips touch my ear as she talks.

“Do you have to ask?” I step back to the bed and lie back. The room whirls. Every touch from her lights each nerve in my body.

Gem’s hands rub up my chest and down my abs. She teases me a few times, by undoing my zipper and then moving her hands up again. I’m nearly insane with my need to be touched by the time she opens my pants. I close my eyes while the room flies in and out of focus. Now I just hope the combination of alcohol and Gem erases what I need it to.

- - -

I roll over in the middle of the night. Gem’s sprawled out next to me, still in her clothes from the party. That’s good because having sex while in this state is never a good idea.