Chapter Ten

Ten

I haul my laptop up to the coffee shop, just for some time alone. The rain hits the windows. It’s mid-afternoon, and the place is empty. My hand shakes as I open my email inbox. Five hundred unread messages. My heart drops. Five hundred?    

The most recent one comes up first. It’s from Floyd, the guy who helped manage the guests on the Today Show.

Antony -

I’m sure if you wanted to talk to me, you’d have emailed me or called me back already. We really want you on. Let me know. We all miss her, and it would get big coverage. We’d highlight what she wanted to talk about while in Darfur. This is a great opportunity for our loss of her to come back around.

       Thanks, Wil

Our loss? OUR loss? It takes all my strength not to chuck my laptop across the stupid room. He has NO idea. None. I flip the top of the laptop closed.

Dad’s walking up the street with a large smile on his face. Perfect. So much for taking care of business and being alone.

“There you are.” Dad brushes the rain off his coat as he steps inside.

“I have my phone.” He could’ve called. I sit back, resigned to my afternoon being nothing like I imagined.

Dad sits on the edge of the seat across from me. “I got my quarterly check today. We’re going to dinner in Seattle. Sound good?”

I’m sure I should react in some way with something positive. “Yeah, did you have somewhere in mind, or can I pick?”

“Anywhere you want.” He slaps my shoulder before standing up.

“Even if you have to dress?” I raise an eyebrow and chuckle.

“Four times a year.” He laughs with me. “Or special occasions.”

Special occasions. When will Mom’s death stop hitting me?

“Sorry.” He shakes his head, realizing how he probably sounded. “Anywhere’s fine. And I usually go out with Lynn and Amber. Is that okay with you?”

I jerk upright. A night out with Amber? Suddenly my interruption isn’t feeling so awful and annoying. “Fine.”  I try to sound relaxed.

“Fine.”  Dad smirks. “We’ll see you when you’re done.” He points to the folded computer on my table.

“See you.”

As soon as Dad steps out, I start to do some research. I need to take Amber somewhere nice, somewhere cool. Someplace that’ll remind me what it’s like to be in a real city.

- - -

At some point in time, I’ll need to stop staring at Amber’s legs. It only worked during dinner when we all sat together, and her legs were buried under the table. Mid-thigh skirt and boots. I wonder if she has any idea how hot she is. Her hair’s up with some random strands falling down in just the right places, and her snug sweater and coat show off her waist.

I feel better than I have in a long time. A real meal out, with an amazing view of Puget Sound and the city. I’m in my New York clothes, and not the jeans a t-shirts I’ve started to live in. Armani slacks and a button up. Feels good.

Amber and I stand together, leaning on the railing of the ferry that’s taking us back to Kingston from the city. The night is cool. The breeze is frigid, and we’re standing close. Any other girl I’d kiss. Any other one. But she looks so peaceful and relaxed, her hands resting together in front of her, her forearms supporting her weight on the top railing. We can see the Seattle city lights behind us, and the dim flickering of Kingston ahead.