Of Lotórenalda

The works of Arda were great, and long did Yavanna labour. For in the music she saw a great many things. Living things of green and silver did she see, and she made them. With her was Vana, lady of flowers, who aided her in the making of flowers great and fair. For though Yavanna made living things, none make blossoms as beautiful as Vana. Because of this Vana and Yavanna became close friends and advisors, almost like sisters were they in their glory. Many great and beautiful works were attributed to them. But not all their work was fruitful.

"Forsooth, this deep delving in the earth shall be a valley of the flowers." Did Vana one day proclaim to her older and wiser friend.

"Ah. And shall flowers grow without the sweet dews or gentle springs of the earth? I can make the earth fruitful, but to Ulmo must thee go for this." So she did. But Ulmo was indeed busy fending off that which is evil, so he gave her one stream with which she had full mastery. So Vana took her hands and dug a smooth and gentle river to feed her flowers, and for that time it was called life giver, which is Coiviantë in Quenya.

Then she placed her hand of a soft white upon the bare earth, and flowers to challenge even those of Telpirion of later days grew. Of every color, shape and size were they, some even reaching up slender petals to Manwë. So many and so great were they that Vana did not feel the need for new works, but instead walked among them. Their full color was not yet revealed, for the lamps were yet to be fashioned. Yavanna gave to Vana a gift following the great undertaking.

"This I give thee. Use it well, for it shall save the stoutest of these here blossoms from the wrath of the accursed one we know as Melkor." Her eyes shone with the light of Eru, and she handed Vana a small jar. Vana was puzzled by this, and so questioned Yavanna.

"Why hath thou given me this object small so? Does it not even encompass the smallest of the blooms?" But the questioning of Vana to Yavanna was out of love, so the giver of fruits was content to answer.

"It shall do as thou bids it, worry not dear sister." So it was that the valley of the flowers was blessed by Yavanna, and any to challenge her was cursed. This was to come, though not now. For ever did Melkor have his ice burning eyes set on it, and he wished to lay it to ruin. None knew save Yavanna what she had done in laying her protection over the valley. She had saved it from its imminent destruction for but a few more centuries. But to a Vala centuries are years, and Melkor had a plan of his own devising to thwart the plans of both Vana and Yavanna, and gain their hatred and pity forever.