Marriage

Yavanna looked at her daughter solemnly. "This moment will mean many things, Nessa."

Her son Oromë was to be wed to Vána, as all labours had been finished and all woe was past them. And her daughter, Nessa, had also been asked to wed. She was to be married first. Arda was in spring, and all was well. But Yavanna could not shake the feeling of foreboding as she looked over to her daughter.

"I know you are involved with Tulkas. Daughter, do not let him slumber. He must stay alert." Nessa nodded softly.

"Mother, is it not already clear, I know Tulkas, he holds hatred in his heart towards Melkor still."

Yavanna sighed, then consoled herself when she turned to Vána.

"My sister, it is time, may Eru be with you." Vána smiled, then went over to Nessa. The daughter of Yavanna was swathed in a soft white fabric, and she was stunning in it.

"You too will be my sister soon, Nessa. Take this as a token of my love." She wove a vine into a circlet, then placed her hands on it. Flowers of the most beautiful type, red and luscious, as blood, sprouted upon it and Nessa was pleased.

"And may you take this, my sister." She murmured and wind swept Vána's hair, and it became as natural and windswept as Nessa's. The fastest maiden had gifted her with her look. Vána took Nessa's hands and realized that Varda stood at the entrance to the willow clearing.

"My dear Valier, come be joined by love." Manwë was her spouse, and they had come into the world being wed previously, no need for ceremony to declare their feelings. But Varda, being the oldest of the Ainu, save Melkor and Manwë, and perhaps Nienna, could not help feeling excitement at the younger goddesses enjoying love, even if it required a ceremony to be bonded.

"Varda, we are coming." Was the answer. And so they were wedded. But not all was well, for Tulkas did fall asleep, and Arda fell to Melkor. The joy of the weddings was short lived, but needed nonetheless. And not one of the Valar or Valier forget the joyous celebration. All the Maiar did as well, all but Marion, who served Aulë, who only enjoyed what came after.