Her Name is Faith

To Hope's immense relief the tunnel they entered once everyone had safely crossed the bridge led straight to the treasure room. At least, that's what the others said it was. For all appearances the room seemed to be filled with nothing but items carved from stone.

"So, what now?" she asked.

Kouen raised his sword and concentrated, silently asking his Djinns to help him locate the vessel of the one in this dungeon. He wasn't sure it would work since something had been blocking his household members and himself from equipping earlier, but whatever it was seem to have lifted. A beam of light shot out from his blade and directed him to a small oil lamp. Hope watched as he approached the lamp and touched it. In an instant all of the stone in the room transformed into precious metals and gems. The eight-pointed star on the oil lamp shined with a black light, and from its spout leaped a great blue creature with wide wings, the head and body of a lion, the tail of a hare, and the feet of a goose.

 The eight-pointed star on the oil lamp shined with a black light, and from its spout leaped a great blue creature with wide wings, the head and body of a lion, the tail of a hare, and the feet of a goose

"Wow..." Hope breathed in amazement. She had expected the Djinn to look a little more human... but that was undeniably cool.

"I am Ipos, Djinn of Wisdom and Valor," the Djinn's voice boomed with authority. "Who will become king?" he asked, scanning the room for candidates.

"... King?" Hope asked, tilting her head slightly in confusion. "Does this mean you're not the type of djinn who grants wishes?"

"Only if your wish is to have the power to become king," responded Ipos, turning his sharp gaze on her. "Do you?"

"Not really," she answered rather bluntly to the surprise of everyone in the room. "With great power comes great responsibility, and I think I have enough on my plate already."

"Then why have you entered this dungeon?" asked the Djinn, narrowing his eyes slightly.

"Would you believe I was lost and looking for shelter?" she said with an apologetic smile. "Anyway, if you want someone to be king, you might want to go with him," she said, pointing to Kouen. "He's already a real prince and everything." Kouen raised and eyebrow at her while his men stared at her in shock. Aside from Prince Kouha, they had never seen someone turn down the power of a Djinn before. And in her case, she was practically giving it away to a stranger she barely knew.

"No, he has already made contracts with three other Djinns. I didn't like that, so I blocked his Djinns until you passed the trials to reach this room. Besides, I think you and I would be much better suited to each other," said Ipos. The corner of his mouth curved upwards into the hint of smile. "For just as you are not a normal human, I am not a normal Djinn."

"!" Hope started as an unreadable expression flickered across her face. "... What do you mean by that?" she asked cautiously, almost bristling at the implication.

"The flow of your magoi is strange, but you are not a magician. I can tell that not only are you not of this world, but you are half fallen."

"!" Kouen's eyes widened slightly in surprise while the others stared at her in shock. Fallen? That happy-go-lucky girl?