Kuchisake-Onna: Finale

口裂け女

Kuchisake-onna

'Slit-Mouthed Woman'

- Finale -

Sudden silence fell between the trio. Many feelings seemed to gather in the space around them, creating a heavy and uncomfortable atmosphere. Out of nowhere, even the air they have never given any attention to felt heavy on their chest and shoulders. It was hard to breathe. Yuumakouji and Y/N's confused gazes were fixed on the mysterious Medicine Seller, the only one out of three who remained calm, as if not bothered by these events. At this point, it took courage to even speak a word.

"S-Slit-mouthed woman?" Y/N questioned, hesitating. She felt as if one wrong word, one wrong move could lead to certain death. However, her words were ignored.

"Yuumakouji." The Medicine Seller called out, "You seem nervous."

It was true. Yuumakouji's skin was pale. He was shaking. His body was covered in cold sweat, yet his heart was beating faster and his blood was boiling in fear, in displeasure, in rage. He was more than just scared or confused. He was aware of the situation and his panicking figure didn't help him hide such a fact. For a second, the way he looked at the Medicine Seller could have been considered a glare, as if he was angry, furious, but the apothecary merely returned the gaze with unreadable thoughts wandering through the depths of his eyes.

"What do you know about this?"

Those calm words felt like poison. They felt like torture. With each letter forming the words that left light haired male's throat, Yuumakouji seemed to panic more and more. He felt like his sanity was being pushed towards the cliff, barely standing on the fragile stones and rocks that could break any second now. The memories flowed through his head, giving him a headache. There were too many feelings forming in his chest - anger, sadness, regret and pride. They were random, but they were dark and they spread like disease all over his, by now, fragile heart. If someone was to see him, they would never guess that he is the samurai able to wield the blade that has killed many without fear or hesitation.

"She... She reminded me of Yagyuu."

Yuumakouji's voice was shaky, barely leaving his throat, barely forming proper words. Y/N stood there, watching, panicking, bottling up the nervousness and fears. The Medicine Seller rose his eyebrows, offering the black haired male a rather questioning look touched by curiosity,

"Yagyuu?"

At this point, the line was crossed. Yuumakouji was no longer holding his temper. He broke down, his heart shattering like glass upon hitting the hard and firm cold ground. His consciousness was no longer controlling his body. Everything was said merely by impulse.

"She was my first wife! She was beautiful, she was lovable!! Yagyuu was a woman everyone wanted for their wife! And I treated her well! I gave her everything she could ask for!! But... But she was with other men. What else could I do other than punish her like that?! Why am I going through this? It wasn't me who committed the sin! Why am I haunted?!"

Yuumakouji's words were unclear and hard to understand. His sentences were rushed, his confession filled with confusion, rage and selfishness dressed up as regret. Y/N took a step forward, about to rush to the man's side and pat him, proceed to go ahead and try to give him comfort, but the outstretched arm stopped her, and she looked at the blonde man, whose attention was still on Yuumakouji, his gaze possibly emotionless, but he was clearly paying attention. Whatsoever, he seemed sharp, as if no detail could escape his concentrated and devoted mind now. It impressed the female, the fact that someone could be this calm during such an event. She stepped back and with that action of hers, the arm of the male fell back casually as well.